[gnso-rpm-wg] Action Items, Slides and Notes from the Working Group call held earlier today

Phil Corwin psc at vlaw-dc.com
Sun Apr 9 17:30:49 UTC 2017

Paul:

I have tended to think of cybersquatting as a form of TM infringement. However, as you point out, cybersquatting can but may but not necessarily constitute infringement, and infringement involving a  domain name may but not always will constitute cybersquatting. I have pasted some relevant language  from INTA’s TM Infringement Fact Sheet below and I will try to be more precise in my use of the terms in the future.

As to your suggestion that this WG consider the development of “an additional RPM that addresses infringement” I would think the proper time for any such consideration would be in Phase 2 of our work, when we focus on the UDRP. If you or others want to develop such a proposal that is of course your right. Speaking personally, however, I’d be skeptical about such an expansion of ICANN’s RPM role for several reasons.

First, in relationship to domain name disputes, it appears that such a proposal might involve elimination of the bad faith registration and use requirement that has been a bedrock part of the UDRP since its inception.

Second, not every form of infringement involving a  domain may be reasonably susceptible to non-judicial dispute resolution. Would a UDRP-like approach for addressing sales of counterfeit goods from domains that are not identical or confusingly similar to that of the TM holder associated with such goods be appropriate for ICANN to undertake? Are extinguishment or transfer of a domain the proper remedies when the domain is a social media, auction, or retail website that has multitudes of users?

Third, and perhaps most importantly, such a proposal would seem at odds with our strident efforts during the IANA transition phase to carefully circumscribe ICANN’s Mission and thereby prevent malignant and uncontrolled expansion of its remit. The policy grounding for why ICANN provides a UDRP alternative for use against domains that are identical or confusingly similar to a trademark is that it is the Internet Corporation for Assigned NAMES and Numbers and controls the allocation of right of the dot names to registries, and the  sale of left of the dot domain names by registrars. But ICANN is not some super-legislature of the Internet and has no responsibility or proper role in addressing every violation of law that may occur “on the Internet” – if that were the case, given that almost every commercial and social interchange now uses the Internet, ICANN could claim jurisdiction to address every wrong that occurs on or via the Internet.

It’s useful to reflect that the UDRP and URS are very narrow departures from ICANN’s general rule that disputes arising from the use of domains are to be settled in established regulatory and judicial forums. I would personally need a lot of convincing that it was appropriate or feasible for ICANN to provide an alternative means of addressing trademark violations beyond cybersquatting.

Best regards,
Philip

http://www.inta.org/TrademarkBasics/FactSheets/Pages/TrademarkInfringement.aspx

1. What is trademark infringement?

Trademark infringement is the interference with or violation of another party’s trademark rights through the unauthorized use of that party’s mark or a confusingly similar mark. The basic test for trademark infringement is whether the use of a trademark by one party is such that it can create a likelihood of confusion among consumers in the relevant marketplace in relation to an identical or similar trademark belonging to another party. A trademark does not have to be an exact copy of another mark in order to be considered infringing.

The legal definition of infringement varies from one jurisdiction to another. The most common standards for infringement are (a) close similarity of a mark and its associated goods and/or services to a prior mark and its associated goods and/or services; or (b) use of a mark that creates a likelihood of confusion, in the course of trade, with a prior mark among the relevant consumers. Trademark law in some jurisdictions incorporates both concepts.
4. How does trademark infringement differ from counterfeiting and cybersquatting?

Counterfeiting is the manufacture or sale of inauthentic goods under a spurious mark, both made to resemble the originals. Besides the available civil remedies for counterfeiting, some jurisdictions also allow criminal remedies.
Generally, counterfeit goods are sold under a mark that is identical to or substantially indistinguishable from a mark that is registered for the same goods, without the approval or oversight of the owner of the prior-registered mark. In contrast, trademark infringement or passing off can arise through the use of a mark that is similar for goods that are commercially related. With trademark infringement or passing off, the mark at issue does not have to be identical to or substantially indistinguishable from the prior mark, and the goods or services do not have to be identical to those identified by the prior mark. The manufacture, sale or distribution of counterfeit goods constitutes trademark infringement, even though not every instance of trademark infringement will involve counterfeit goods.
Cybersquatting is the practice of obtaining in bad faith domain name registrations that incorporate trademarks (or names of famous people) with which the registrant has no connection or in which it has no legitimate interest. Cybersquatting may not necessarily constitute trademark infringement, particularly if the registrant is not using the domain name (trademark) in connection with the bona fide sale of goods or services or otherwise in a manner that is likely to cause confusion. Trademark infringement involving a domain name may not necessarily constitute cybersquatting where there is an absence of bad faith. Statutory and regulatory regimes may provide a mechanism for trademark owners to use to address cybersquatting. (Emphasis added)

Philip S. Corwin, Founding Principal
Virtualaw LLC
1155 F Street, NW
Suite 1050