[gnso-rpm-wg] Action Items, Slides and Notes from the Working Group call held earlier today

George Kirikos icann at leap.com
Mon Apr 10 21:17:57 UTC 2017

Some more examples of gaming of the TMCH sunrises, via public blog posts:

1. via Kevin Murphy of DomainIncite.com:

http://domainincite.com/16492-how-one-guy-games-new-gtld-sunrise-periods

DIRECT, CLOUD, and SOCIAL

Note the comments below that blog post by John Berryhill, who wrote "…and
the attorney who was unable to use her client’s US registration for
“PHYSICS” with the inconvenient disclaimer, and who then obtained a late
change in the TMCH rules allowing figurative registrations, so that her
client could use a foreign logo registration to obtain the TMCH entry for
that word… is she an IPC member, Kristina?"

implying that the common term "PHYSICS" might also be gamed, by an IPC
member. And there are other comments by him and others on that page that
are worth reading.

2. via Konstantinos Zournas of OnlineDomain.com:

http://onlinedomain.com/2014/04/15/legal/fake-trademarks-
stealing-generic-domains-in-new-gtld-sunrises/

regarding CLOUD, SOCIAL, BUILD, BET, VACATION, DISCOUNT, WEDDING and others
(...etc.) More than 30 TMs of very common terms are mentioned, and over 300
domains were found by that one blogger. There are 46 comments to that blog
post, too.

I renew the call for a public comment period, so that more of these kinds
of examples of can be submitted to the working group.