[gnso-rpm-wg] A Brave New World Without Sunrises or the TMCH

trachtenbergm at gtlaw.com trachtenbergm at gtlaw.com
Fri Apr 14 00:16:06 UTC 2017

I am hating myself for wading back into this never-ending quagmire but two brief comments anyway…

1.       The Globally Protected Marks List will never work and has always been DOA when discussed because:

a.       People can ever agree on who should make the list; and

b.      It penalizes the vast majority of trademark owners that have been granted protection by the relevant authority but are not the biggest 100 brands in the world

2.       Your two week (or whatever the term is) proposal will not work for a variety of reasons including:

a.       Online abuse is increasingly in the form of email addresses created on the domain names, not content; and

b.      That requires all trademark owners to constantly monitor and take action against every potentially infringing domain name within 2 weeks, which is an unreasonable burden.  When they don’t the infringers will just start their infringing conduct at the beginning of the third week (or whatever period);

c.       Who will create this algorithm – ICANN?  Will it work as well as the string similarity algorithm for new gTLDS?

Best regards,

Marc H. Trachtenberg
Shareholder
Greenberg Traurig, LLP | 77 West Wacker Drive | Suite 3100 | Chicago, IL 60601
Tel 312.456.1020
Mobile 773.677.3305
trachtenbergm at gtlaw.com<mailto:trachtenbergm at gtlaw.com> | www.gtlaw.com<http://www.gtlaw.com/>

[Greenberg Traurig]