[gnso-rpm-wg] Text/design marks

J. Scott Evans jsevans at adobe.com
Fri Apr 14 15:59:11 UTC 2017

Rebecca:

As I stated on the call Wednesday, when Sunrise registration were first developed, a EU trademark litigator was very vocal and, ultimately successful, in arguing that design/figurative marks (as opposed to word marks in stylized lettering) should not be included because the EU trademark office had no disclaimer requirement. I support this proposition. However, there may be other ways to solve the problem rather than an outright prohibition. On your specific point below, I think that the owner of a registration for the mark BOX is a stylized ribbon script for “online storage services” should be allowed to register in the TMCH. And, unless I am wrong, the owner of a TMCH registration for the stylized ribbon script mark BOX would not be able to prevent someone from registering boxsolutions.tld unless they had one a UDRP on that exact string. I think the information from Deloitte shows that use of trademark +50 is very sparse, so that probably is a very remote situation. Even then, however, I support a mechanism whereby the applicant that wants box.tld for a non-infringing use should be able to obtain the domain; provided they have to use it for the non-infringing use.

J. Scott Evans
408.536.5336 (tel)
345 Park Avenue, Mail Stop W11-544
Director, Associate General Counsel