[gnso-rpm-wg] A Brave New World Without Sunrises or the TMCH

Jeremy Malcolm jmalcolm at eff.org
Fri Apr 14 17:11:49 UTC 2017

On 13/4/17 8:47 pm, Greg Shatan wrote:
> However, I don't think number 2 qualifies as gaming or abuse -- except
> to the extent the trademark owner is being gamed or abused. Indeed,
> one of the failed assumptions of the New gTLD Program seems to have
> been that trademark owners would buy even more defensive registrations
> than they did.

So there's nothing wrong with a company that has a trademark for
computers sunrise registering that trademark in a gTLD that relates to
fruit on the strength of its computer trademark, locking out those who
would actually use that domain name to sell fruit?  Sounds like abuse to me.

--
Jeremy Malcolm
Senior Global Policy Analyst
jmalcolm at eff.org

Tel: 415.436.9333 ext 161

Public key: https://www.eff.org/files/2016/11/27/key_jmalcolm.txt
PGP fingerprint: 75D2 4C0D 35EA EA2F 8CA8 8F79 4911 EC4A EDDF 1122