[gnso-rpm-wg] A Brave New World Without Sunrises or the TMCH

George Kirikos icann at leap.com
Fri Apr 14 20:47:39 UTC 2017

Hi J. Scott,

On Fri, Apr 14, 2017 at 4:22 PM, J. Scott Evans via gnso-rpm-wg
<gnso-rpm-wg at icann.org> wrote:
> My suggestion would be that either we have sponsored TLDs with up front verification or we have a challenge system whereby the challenging party that wants to us the string for a non-infringing purpose could obtain the domain name; provided, however that their use was subject to the requirement that they stick to the stated non-infringing purpose. Failure to do so is a breach of the TOS and the Registry would takedown the domain name if it received a valid complaint. Similar to DMCA.

We're trying to achieve the same result, which I see as promising.

With respect, it's unfortunate that sponsored TLDs turned out be a
disaster. Either they were outright gamed (e.g. people renting out
their ".pro" qualifications/credentials/whatever), or domains were
mopped up by insiders (e.g. .travel), etc.

http://domainnamewire.com/2008/02/22/theglobecom-to-sell-travel-domain-name-registry/

With a "challenge" system, what if there were multiple challengers?
Who gets the domain name? What if the sunrise registrant wants the
domain name more than the "challenger(s)" does(do)? Who gets it?

What I proposed (auction system in landrush, which is how landrushes
tend to operate anyhow; i.e. just eliminate the sunrise and go
straight to landrush) is entire neutral and "clean." The answers to
the above questions are simple: money.

No need to reinvent the wheel here. Money has always been the way to
solve these allocation issues for scarce resources. Once you start
interfering in that (to suggest that someone is "more deserving" of
the asset), it invites the gaming we're seeing.

It'd be interesting to know the stats on average domains registered in
sunrise, by the way, if anyone has those handy. i.e. we know that on
average 130 per TLD are registered in sunrise. How many more are being
registered in landrush, on average?