[gnso-rpm-wg] Text/design marks

Scott Austin SAustin at vlplawgroup.com
Fri Apr 14 21:01:02 UTC 2017

John:
Your comments to Rebecca on the ccTLDs and standard character marks reminded me of several questions I wanted to add to the TMCH discussion on design marks v standard character/text/typed form/words only/non-stylized/ (other less articulate terms) marks.
First, the USPTO does provide in TMEP Appendix E (Attachment 1) a list of countries “that Have Standard Character Marks or the Equivalent” and lists over 50 countries. Oddly the countries listed many that on its face would not be considered to use standard character sets, including China, Russia, Japan, etc. so at first it appears there may be a broad interpretation of “the Equivalent”. The appendix references, however, TMEP §807.03(f) which clarifies the meaning of the term (highlighted) and may provide a useful definition to apply to the TMCH for standard character set:
“For countries on this list, if all letters and words in the mark are in block capital or capital and lowercase Latin characters, all numerals are Roman or Arabic numerals, the mark includes only common punctuation or diacritical marks, and no stylization of lettering and/or numbers is claimed, the examining attorney need not inquire whether the registered mark in the foreign registration is in standard characters or the equivalent, unless the applicant has indicated that the mark is not standard characters or the equivalent.”
Second, from the USPTO’s website under their instruction on Trademark Basics and the options for representation of a mark using a “standard character format” when filing an application for US trademark registration, they write:
The standard character format means you are able to type your mark into the designated field on the electronic filing form by using characters found within the standard character set (or otherwise create a “typed” drawing for a paper submission).   This is used to register word(s), letter(s), number(s) or any combination thereof, without claim to any particular font style, size, or color, and absent any design element. Registration of a mark in the standard character format will provide broad rights, namely use in any manner of presentation.
Even better they provide a link to the “standard character set” which I have attached in PDF (Attachment 2). As you can see it includes more than just an alphabet/number set, but also many additional characters including punctuations and diacritical marks added to letters such as umlauts, acute accents, grave accents, carons, etc.
Reviewing the USPTO’s expansive standard character set raises another issue, however.
Question 1. Considering that the only valid characters for a standard (non-Internationalized) domain name are letters, numbers and a hyphen "-" and even simple typed special characters like the underscore "_" or an exclamation mark "!" are NOT permitted in a standard domain name, would even “standard character” US registered marks that include accents or other diacritical marks registered in the TMCH be precluded a beyond the reach of a cybersquatter anyway, or should they be included to provide protection of the essentially identical string being copied, but for the omission of a diacritical mark? (Typosquatting?)
And considering the new gTLDS now include numerous IDNs, has the question been raised with Deloitte whether the TMCH accommodates trademark registrations using foreign character marks that require use of the IDNA encoding to be used as domain names?
Question 2: Are foreign character marks, whether 1) in ASCII script using accents, umlauts, carons, etc. treated as design marks and 2) are foreign character marks using non ASCII character sets such as Chinese, Japanese, Arabic, Hebrew, Cyrillic, etc. treated as design marks or standard character marks?
And doesn’t where you come out on that argument impact how stylized and words plus design marks are treated? Some design marks may never be used in a standard character format for a variety of reasons:
1.      From commencement, the owner combined the literal elements of the mark with a logo and never asked for (or couldn’t afford) counsel on the broader protection and flexibility of a words only mark.
2.      The mark was not sufficiently distinctive without the addition of a distinctive design to obtain the benefits of principal register status.
3.      A substantial design was used strategically after a search, to avoid a conflict with another words only mark and a 2(d) refusal.
4.      The marketing director demanded only special fonts be used to have a greater impact on target customers.
I am sure there are many more and better examples you or I could come up with in time, but my point is:

Question 3. Should the incorporation of a design be grounds to deny protection of the literal elements of a words plus design mark that could be cybersquatted on the basis of those literal elements.
Do we intend to err on the side of; 1) prohibiting words plus design marks (whether the words are embedded (e.g., Starbucks) or adjacent (e.g. Nike) to the design and denying notice to brand owners when the literal elements of their marks are used for domain names; or 2) permitting the literal elements of words plus design marks to control and allow their registration on the TMCH and provide notice to brand owners when the literal elements of their words plus design marks are acquired for domain names.
Taking a real-world example, if a nascent coffee concern filed only U.S. Trademark Reg. No.  1,815,937, but not 1,452,359 would or should Starbucks be prohibited from registration on the TMCH?

Best regards,
Scott

Scott R. Austin | Board Certified Intellectual Property Attorney | VLP Law Group LLP
101 NE Third Avenue, Suite 1500, Fort Lauderdale, FL 33301