[gnso-rpm-wg] A Brave New World Without Sunrises or the TMCH

Reg Levy reg at mmx.co
Tue Apr 18 18:52:04 UTC 2017

If there is a “real” registrar on the list, please pipe up. MMX’s registrars chose not to redesign our systems to handle claims notices not to “effectively dilute the relevance” of them but because they were expensive and finicky (for us) to set up and maintain. It was not a means of attempting to get around any requirement but of saving money on our end. Based on the number of registrars who chose to carry our new gTLDs after sunrise and after 90 days, I suspect that this was not unique to us.

TMCH is currently providing this service on an ongoing basis (as I understand it). It seems that this could be extended on the front-end (to cover the first 90 days). Of course, this still requires a check box or affirmative consent to be offered to the registrant and recorded by the registrar, which will still require registrars to modify their systems to accommodate.

If it is simply added to the registrant agreement, that might solve the issue, too.

/R

Reg Levy
VP Compliance + Policy | Minds + Machines Group Limited
C: +1-310-963-7135
S: RegLevy2

Current UTC offset: -7