[gnso-rpm-wg] REMINDER: Deadline is TOMORROW (19 April) for Proposals on Open TMCH Questions

Mary Wong mary.wong at icann.org
Tue Apr 18 19:26:47 UTC 2017

Dear Working Group members,

Just a gentle reminder to send any proposals or recommendations you may have, for proceeding with and possibly resolving the few open questions on the TMCH, to this mailing list by tomorrow, 19 April (close of business in your time zone). Staff will compile all proposals received for the Working Group to consider on the next Working Group call next Wednesday (26 April).

To recap, the three open questions that are currently under discussion are:

1.       TMCH Question 7 on “design marks”

o    On the last call, Working Group members had discussed whether the TMCH is intended to: (1) only accept “word marks” in the sense that the entire mark comprises text only; (2) also include marks comprising stylized text (but without a figurative/image element); and/or (3) accept device/image marks where the text element is predominant (i.e. Deloitte’s current practice), and the appropriate approach when the text element is (and is not) disclaimed).

o    The Working Group noted that different jurisdictions may have different approaches to these marks, and that the TMCH was intended to accept marks from all jurisdictions. For further background, the December 2009 STI Report stated that “The trademarks to be included in the [TMCh] are text marks because “design marks” provide protection for letters and words only within the context of their design or logo and the STI was under a mandate not to expand existing trademark rights”, while the previous (May 2009) IRT Report noted that the TMCH “should be able to accommodate all types of registered trademarks, including word marks and device (logo) marks that contain a word element”. Both the IRT and STI tried to design their recommendations in accordance with the principle that “recommendation should protect the existing rights of trademark owners, but neither expand those rights nor create additional legal rights”.

o    The TMCH Guidelines that explain Deloitte’s current practice have already been circulated previously – for your convenient reference, they can be found here: http://trademark-clearinghouse.com/sites/default/files/files/downloads/TMCH%20guidelines%20v1.2_0.pdf

2.       TMCH Question 8 on Geographical Indications, Designations of Origin and similar identifiers

o    In Copenhagen, Deloitte had discussed both the number of, as well as how it verifies, “marks protected by statute or treaty” with the Working Group, noting that this category could well include geographical indications although the current Guidelines do not require these to be treated separately.

o    Paul McGrady had asked staff some follow up questions, the answers to which we replicate below for your review.

3.       TMCH Question 10 on Identical Match

o    The Working Group had agreed to return to this question following its review of the Analysis Group’s Revised Report. Please see pages 27-35 of the report for the Analysis Group’s findings on this topic: https://community.icann.org/download/attachments/64066042/Analysis%20Group%20Revised%20TMCH%20Report%20-%20March%202017.pdf?version=1&modificationDate=1490349029000&api=v2

Please let Amr and I know if you have further questions or need more information.

Thanks and cheers
Mary