[gnso-rpm-wg] Recommendation II for Question #8

Paul Tattersfield gpmgroup at gmail.com
Thu Apr 20 09:31:04 UTC 2017

Sorry Kathy, but I believe your thinking on this is fundamentally flawed.
There is nothing in STI Principle 1.1 that requires the ‘registration’ of a
trademark or service mark.

The registration of trademarks simply evidences the existence of marks of
the underlying goods and services. 6ter evidences Governmental & IGO marks
in a similar way.

In order to have their mark infringed a Government or IGO has to offer a
service i.e. be known by that mark, this is sufficient under TMCH.

There is therefore no need to change the existing rules and I beleive this
proposal should be withdrawn.

Paul