[gnso-rpm-wg] Recommendation for Question#10 (Appropriate Strings for Notification)

Rebecca Tushnet Rebecca.Tushnet at law.georgetown.edu
Fri Apr 21 11:55:30 UTC 2017

The problem is worse than just "red" matches, of course: a valid TMCH
registration for Elle for magazines would lead to a notice for
Cottonelle, mademoiselle, seller, belled, etc. A TMCH registration for
Louis Vuitton's LV for handbags would lead to a notice for salve,
silver, absolve, evolve, revolver, velvet, shelves, etc.

Given what we now know is in the TMCH, we can also anticipate notices
going to anyone whose domain name refers to cloud services, rather
than the current match on cloud.gTLD alone; hotel for anyone whose
domain name refers to hotel services, such as radissonhotel.gTLD; etc.

A flood of irrelevant matches is no good for trademark owners
(including the SMEs who might have just one hotel).  To the extent
that people might learn to ignore Claims Notices because a lot of the
time they’re just irrelevant, that seems to make them much worse
deterrents.  On the other hand, if people continue the abandonment
rate of over 90%, that makes the new gTLDs much less predictable and
available for no clear reason.  I might be able to support a proposal
to extend matches in a case in which a competent authority, whether a
court or an administrative agency, had determined that a mark was a
coined term, not just arbitrary, suggestive, or descriptive with
secondary meaning, which could at least justify more worry about any
given string, though I’d also be concerned about two-,  three-, or
four-letter combinations that might be deemed “unique” and thus coined
on their own but could be incorporated in larger, ordinary words.

Separately: in order to fully evaluate this proposal, we really need
information on the harm it is supposed to address, including (1) the
number of registration attempts that included but were not limited to
the text of an entry in the TMCH and (2) the number of such
registrations that led to a trademark owner challenge after the fact
(therefore excluding URS actions against, for example, typosquatting).
What resources do we have to obtain this information?
Rebecca Tushnet
Georgetown Law
703 593 6759