[gnso-rpm-wg] Proposal for the elimination of Sunrise Period

Paul Keating paul at law.es
Sat Apr 22 16:59:09 UTC 2017

Hi Kurt

I have not read your email in sufficient detail. However my Initial comments are

Perhaps allowing registries to replace sunrise with a premium offering period would work.  They would be able to offer the price they felt appropriate or hold a reverse auction.

The notice would still remain effective so that curative rights are preserved to the maximum extend by eliminating the common gaming issues.

Obviously cybersquatters would not want to risk substantial amounts when legitimacy and actual knowledge issues have been eliminated via the notice.

That leaves a healthy competition between those who have trademark rights and those who will use the domain for legitimate purposes.  This seems a healthy balance.

Sincerely,
Paul Keating, Esq.