[gnso-rpm-wg] Recommendation II for Question #8

Massimo Massimo at origin-gi.com
Mon Apr 24 15:59:28 UTC 2017

Dear Kathy, dear all,

I would like all of you to look at question 8 from a different perspective.

The acceptance of “marks protected by statute or treaty” might rather have been an attempt to increase the legal certainty of the gTLDs system. The Working Group would lose an opportunity if it refuses to analyze the issue altogether and simply state that the TMCH is intended only for trademarks and any expansion would deeply harm the Multistakeholder Process.

I think the crucial issue is why the TMCH guidelines explicitly mention Geographical Indications (GIs). One of answer might be that GIs represent today a relevant legal and commercial reality worldwide:

1.     GIs are recognized in the WTO TRIPs Agreement (art.22.1);

2.     A large majority of countries provide today specific legislation on GIs separated from trademarks: EU, Switzerland: https://www.admin.ch/opc/fr/classified-compilation/19970229/index.html , Brazil: http://www.wipo.int/wipolex/en/text.jsp?file_id=125397 (Title IV), Chile: http://www.wipo.int/wipolex/en/details.jsp?id=5325, China: http://www.wipo.int/wipolex/en/details.jsp?id=6348, OAPI (16 countries in Western and Central Africa): http://www.wipo.int/wipolex/en/other_treaties/text.jsp?file_id=181151, Colombia: http://www.wipo.int/wipolex/es/details.jsp?id=9451 , Georgia: http://www.wipo.int/wipolex/en/text.jsp?file_id=127543 , Indonesia : http://www.wipo.int/wipolex/en/text.jsp?file_id=182324 , India (see attached), Japan: http://www.maff.go.jp/e/policies/intel/gi_act/, Morocco: http://www.ompic.org.ma/fr/content/indications-geographiques-et-appellations-dorigine ; Mexico: http://www.wipo.int/wipolex/en/details.jsp?id=11711 (Titulo V), Malaysia: http://www.wipo.int/wipolex/en/text.jsp?file_id=128846, New Zealand: http://www.legislation.govt.nz/bill/government/2015/0086/latest/DLM6641912.html?search=ta_bill_G_bc%40bcur_an%40bn%40rn_25_a&p=1 , Russia: http://www.wipo.int/wipolex/en/details.jsp?id=12785 , Vietnam: http://www.wipo.int/wipolex/en/text.jsp?file_id=131515, … just to name a few.

3.     As a result, there are today some 8.000 GIs recognized in the world (oriGIn is preparing an online compilation on this that will be published later in September). Such GIs benefit from legal titles arising from transparent registration processes (often managed by national or regional trademark offices), that can be easily verified.

Not taking into account such a legal and commercial reality in the domain names environment would be unreasonable.

I think the Working Group should look at the question I raise as well as the other information provided on GIs, and rather work on making sure the TMCH guidelines concerning the marks protected under statues and treaties are formulated in a way that makes reference exclusively to IP titles that can easily verifiable (this is the case for GIs). In this way, we will contribute to increase the legal certainty and predictability of the domain names system.

Best,

Massimo

Mr Massimo Vittori
Managing Director – oriGIn
1, rue de Varembé 1202, Geneva, Switzerland
Telephone: +41 (0) 22 755 07 32
E-mail: massimo at origin-gi.com<mailto:massimo at origin-gi.com>
www.origin-gi.com<http://www.origin-gi.com/>

[twitter]<https://twitter.com/oriGInNetwork>[linkedin]<https://www.linkedin.com/company/origin-the-organization-for-an-international-geographical-indications-network>[logos_youtubeBin1]<https://www.youtube.com/user/oriGInNetwork1>

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: The contents of this e-mail message and any attachments are confidential and are intended solely for addressee. The information may also be legally privileged. This transmission is sent in trust, for the sole purpose of delivery to the intended recipient. If you have received this transmission in error, any use, reproduction or dissemination of this transmission is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please immediately notify the sender by reply e-mail or phone and delete this message and its attachments, if any.