[gnso-rpm-wg] Recommendation for Question#10 (Appropriate Strings for Notification)

Mary Wong mary.wong at icann.org
Tue Apr 25 21:00:37 UTC 2017

Dear all,

To facilitate the Working Group’s deliberation of this proposal (to expand the TMCH matching rules for Claims Notices), staff offers the following notes:

o    The “identical match” test was proposed in the first IRT Report (April 2009) and retained throughout the development of the Applicant Guidebook

o    In the various public comment periods for the AGB and, most recently, for the RPM Staff Paper (February 2015) and the Issue Report for this PDP (October 2015), numerous comments were received supporting expansion of the matching rules to include plurals, mark+keyword, “mark contained”, etc.

o    The GAC, in requesting an independent review of the TMCH in 2011, had specifically raised the question of matching rules for consideration

o    The recent (February 2017) revised report from the Analysis Group reviewing the TMCH found that it was not able to find clear evidence – based on the data available to it and the analysis it performed – that the benefits outweighed the costs of expansion. They did, however, note that if trademark owners value registrations that are variants of their marks but are unable to monitor these registrations, expansion may be useful.

In discussing the proposal for TMCH Question 10, will it be helpful to review the Analysis Group data and findings, and to consider what, if any, are the increased needs or new or additional concerns over the past few years that may support expansion, or the contrary?

Cheers
Mary