[gnso-rpm-wg] FOR REVIEW & DISCUSSION: Draft collated proposal for Sunrise-related data collection

claudio di gangi ipcdigangi at gmail.com
Wed Aug 9 15:51:02 UTC 2017

George,

I agree with you on the need for objective data and metrics, which all too
often is sorely lacking in gTLD policy development.

As per my previous note, what are your thoughts on how to calculate-in the
effect of blocking services on the analysis of the number of Sunrise
registrations?

If "example.newgTLD" is 'registered' through a blocking service - such as
the DPML , that domain is not registered during Sunrise across hundreds of
gTLDs operated by the registry.

In fact, the blocked domain represents the ultimate form of a defensive
registration because it can not be used, and therefore no incremental
benefits may accrue to the registrant (however slight).

I believe the issue is further complicated because we do not know how many
domains have been blocked in this manner through these services.

Thanks!

Best,
Claudio