[gnso-rpm-wg] Quantifying the extent of Sunrise registrations, Costs and Challenges

claudio di gangi ipcdigangi at gmail.com
Fri Aug 11 19:32:29 UTC 2017

Building on Georges and Cynthia's very insightful analysis, please see this
staff report on RPMs and the utilization of Sunrise in new gTLDs at:

https://newgtlds.icann.org/en/reviews/rpm/draft-rpm-review-02feb15-en.pdf

Some key take-aways of interest:

Between Dec 13 to Dec 2014, there were 33,008 Sunrise transactions.

>From my perspective, the fact these Sunrise registrations are spread over
hundreds of gTLDs, may reflect less profit per registry, but does not
change the net costs associated with the utilization of this RPM. In fact,
since we do not know the price per Sunrise registration, the total costs
are unknown (although can be estimated to some extent).

Note: this figure does not incorporate the costs associated with the
voluntary blocking services purchased during this same 12 month period.

As far as I am aware, this figure of over 30,000 domains represents one of
the largest number of Sunrise registrations in gTLDs over a 12 month
period, going back to 2001 (.info - 52,000).

For context, in 2006, .mobi had around 15,000 (50% less than the 2014
totals). In 2008, .asia processed somewhere between 27,000-31,000 domains
(their website references Sunrise 'applications' not registrations). In
2011, .XXX collected an estimated $13M for 80,000 blocks, but these are
more akin to the DPML or the related blocking services.

As an aside, from other sources (not the staff report), .porn and .adult
totaled around 8,000 Sunrise registrations (in 2015), along with .sucks
getting over 3,000 - making 2015 a banner year for Sunrise fees.

The staff report also highlights various challenges faced by TM owners
during Sunrise, including some that hinder the utilization rate, including:

1. The difficulty associated with identifying an eligible registrar for a
particular TLD, suggesting that registries provide a list of accredited
registrars on their websites.

2. Pricing being too expensive, including Premium Names. Suggestion for
registries to publish list of premium names on its website.

3. SLD Block lists (associated with the name collision issue). One
registrar informed the TM owner that 35 names were unavailable for
registration.

I hope you find this information helpful, and please let me know of any
questions/comments.

Have a nice weekend.

Best,
Claudio