[gnso-rpm-wg] 99%+ reduction in sunrise utilization rate per TLD supports EFF call for elimination of sunrise

Kiran Malancharuvil Kiran.Malancharuvil at markmonitor.com
Fri Aug 11 23:14:49 UTC 2017

I support Cyntia’s comments here.

From: gnso-rpm-wg-bounces at icann.org [mailto:gnso-rpm-wg-bounces at icann.org] On Behalf Of Cyntia King
Sent: Friday, August 11, 2017 4:11 PM
To: 'George Kirikos' <icann at leap.com>; 'gnso-rpm-wg' <gnso-rpm-wg at icann.org>
Subject: Re: [gnso-rpm-wg] 99%+ reduction in sunrise utilization rate per TLD supports EFF call for elimination of sunrise

Hi George,

I think your language is unnecessarily inflammatory & I’d appreciate it if you’d take it down a notch.

You should prolly also stop conflating issues of simple commerce (what we’re doing here) w/ social injustice.

Actually, trademarks do represent a legal bar to use of a name & those who obtain TMs do receive benefits not available to those who do not.  That bar exists to protect consumers.

We cannot ignore that TM owners:

  *   Invest substantial sums in their marks (registration, marketing, defending, maintenance, etc)
  *   Must protect their TMs or risk having them cancelled
  *   Are forced to spend significant sums to stop abuse of their TM names when such abuse occurs

It’s just not good policy to force TM owners to corral every horse that gets out of the barn, rather than taking simple steps to keep them from getting out in the first place.

Cyntia King
CEO & Founder
cking at modernip.com<mailto:cking at modernip.com>
[MIP Email Composite Logo]