[gnso-rpm-wg] 99%+ reduction in sunrise utilization rate per TLD supports EFF call for elimination of sunrise

Cking Modern IP cking at modernip.com
Mon Aug 14 11:47:45 UTC 2017

It seems there's no point you can't talk to death.

8 paragraphs on ranting, 1 to chide me for being ready to vote on thie Sunrise iaaue (let's not be obtuse), & 1 to slam ICANN.  It is enough & is becoming a waste of my time.

Your arguments have been unpersuasive, your personal

I'm interested in hearing a bit more about Volker's proposal.

Cyntia King

On Mon, Aug 14, 2017 at 6:13 AM -0500, "George Kirikos" <icann at leap.com> wrote:

Hi Cyntia,

You should know me better by now, after all these years.

"Though this be madness, yet there is method in 't." --- Hamlet

http://shakespeare.mit.edu/hamlet/hamlet.2.2.html

Rick Mercer wrote an excellent piece "Why I rant. And why you should too."

http://www.macleans.ca/news/canada/why-i-rant/

"Ranting is a 'skill'
Everyone should rant. Ranting not only makes you feel better but
occasionally, as my mother proved to me many times, you might get
results—justice, satisfaction or a fudge stick.
Canadians don’t rant enough. We are busy people and I get that. We
don’t necessarily have the time or the inclination to come across like
mad people who are constantly barking about waste, corruption and lack
of transparency in three different levels of government.
But the danger in not ranting is dire. If we as a nation don’t rant
then the powers that be will use that complacency against us.
Hopefully it will dawn on Canadians that the one thing we shouldn’t
care about is what the government thinks of us or what names they call
us. Prime ministers, premiers and cabinet ministers aren’t our
friends; they are just people in bad suits who work for us.

We are the boss. And if they want to work for us they have to listen
to us, answer our questions and occasionally, like all employees,
listen to the boss rant."

A rant, agreed, but not not a bombastic (empty) one, but instead a
methodical rant full of content and purpose, asking questions about
limits of TMs, examples of genericide, and so on, interleaved with
'emotional' appeals.  A very *strategic* rant. An intelligent choice
to rant after looking at the playing field carefully.

Take a look at the 2016 US Presidential election, and the Brexit
votes. Which campaigns were more 'professional', yet which sides
ultimately one? ;-) This is adaptive learning at work.

I'm sure quite a lot of "professional" analysis and discourse has led
to serious errors of policy at ICANN. I'm sure a lot of professionals
made predictions about new gTLDs and appropriate strategies, for
themselves and their clients, all now proven wrong. Many folks lost
money, time, and careers due to those mistakes, betting the wrong way.
They're looking for a new direction, superior analysis, and better
solutions than those of the past.

In the separate IGO PDP, for example, which shares some of the same
membership as this working group, I need not rant as much, as the
circumstances warrant different strategic behaviour. By the way, that
PDP has a much narrower scope than this one, yet has taken 3 years
(and followed up on a prior one that 'punted' some topics to this
one). Thanks for letting us all know you're 'ready to vote', well in
advance of data collection and analysis and arguments. By the time we
actually get to a final report and consensus vote in 2022 or so, I'll
be sure to look back at yesterday's email from you and smile. No one
has ever lost money betting on ICANN delays. We've spent the last year
or so on procedural issues, and finalizing various *questions*. Then,
there's data collection. Then, there's analysis. Then there's
arguments. Then there's iteration. The public will eventually weigh in
at some point, and then we get to do things all over again.

I think the evidence-based policy making (as opposed to the flawed
policymaking at ICANN that got us here, which was based on incorrect
conjectures and weak analysis) will ultimately lead us in the right
direction.