[gnso-rpm-wg] 99%+ reduction in sunrise utilization rate per TLD supports EFF call for elimination of sunrise

Volker Greimann vgreimann at key-systems.net
Mon Aug 14 12:02:53 UTC 2017

Thanks George. Having the list public serves many benefits, least of all
to allow registrars that could not offer new TLDs until the claims
phases closed to see these domains from day one simply because their
systems di not allow for processing of these notices.

I heard a few statements to the effect that it would have been no issue
if a list had been provided but having to change the code for the
additional query and outputting the notice was either impossible or just
too expensive for some registrars.

But even if the side that wants to prevent the publication of the list
prevails this does not mean that the "parallel sunrise" would not work.
The registry could simply query the TMCH for each registration request
as part of the registration process during the parallel sunrise phase
and only process the registration if either the TMCH responds with a
negative or if the proper TMCH file is included in the registration
request. This could work similar to the current claims process and would
therefore not even need that much implementation work.

It would not help the registrars that currently adopt new gTLDs late,
but it would not worsen their situation either.

I will admit to one issue of this proposal for trademark owners and that
is that they would not be protected against normal registrations if they
only enter their mark into the TMCH during the period, but I feel that
issue is minor enough and easily preventable by proper planning.

Best,

Volker

Am 14.08.2017 um 13:22 schrieb George Kirikos:
> Hi Volker,
>
> On Mon, Aug 14, 2017 at 6:43 AM, Volker Greimann
> <vgreimann at key-systems.net> wrote:
>> This proposal would simply add one further category of names that would be reserved for the general public, but open for registration by authorized entities. The TMCH would provide the list to the registry operators.
> I believe the TM folks had a grave concern about that "list" of TMCH
> marks being made public (which effectively would be the case, if it
> was simply handed over to many registry operators). Given the number
> of distinct registry operators that would have access to it, each one
> would have plausible deniability as it got leaked/distributed, and it
> would be impossible to identify the source/leaker who 'violated' any
> terms restricting its use.
>
> That list could then form the basis of premium names lists, amongst
> other issues, in their eyes.
>
> I don't have any problems with that list being public and/or
> "effectively" public and widely distributed, though. It's been
> repeatedly asked for by Paul Keating and others in this PDP as well,
> so that we can dive deep and research the topics at stake in this
> review of RPMs.
>
> Sincerely,
>
> George Kirikos
> 416-588-0269
> http://www.leap.com/

Bei weiteren Fragen stehen wir Ihnen gerne zur Verfügung.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen,

Volker A. Greimann
- Rechtsabteilung -

Key-Systems GmbH
Im Oberen Werk 1
66386 St. Ingbert
Tel.: +49 (0) 6894 - 9396 901
Fax.: +49 (0) 6894 - 9396 851
Email: vgreimann at key-systems.net

Web: www.key-systems.net / www.RRPproxy.net
www.domaindiscount24.com / www.BrandShelter.com

Folgen Sie uns bei Twitter oder werden Sie unser Fan bei Facebook:
www.facebook.com/KeySystems
www.twitter.com/key_systems

Geschäftsführer: Alexander Siffrin
Handelsregister Nr.: HR B 18835 - Saarbruecken
Umsatzsteuer ID.: DE211006534

Member of the KEYDRIVE GROUP
www.keydrive.lu

Der Inhalt dieser Nachricht ist vertraulich und nur für den angegebenen Empfänger bestimmt. Jede Form der Kenntnisgabe, Veröffentlichung oder Weitergabe an Dritte durch den Empfänger ist unzulässig. Sollte diese Nachricht nicht für Sie bestimmt sein, so bitten wir Sie, sich mit uns per E-Mail oder telefonisch in Verbindung zu setzen.

Should you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Best regards,

Volker A. Greimann
- legal department -

Key-Systems GmbH
Im Oberen Werk 1
66386 St. Ingbert
Tel.: +49 (0) 6894 - 9396 901
Fax.: +49 (0) 6894 - 9396 851
Email: vgreimann at key-systems.net

Web: www.key-systems.net / www.RRPproxy.net
www.domaindiscount24.com / www.BrandShelter.com

Follow us on Twitter or join our fan community on Facebook and stay updated:
www.facebook.com/KeySystems
www.twitter.com/key_systems

CEO: Alexander Siffrin
Registration No.: HR B 18835 - Saarbruecken
V.A.T. ID.: DE211006534

Member of the KEYDRIVE GROUP
www.keydrive.lu

This e-mail and its attachments is intended only for the person to whom it is addressed. Furthermore it is not permitted to publish any content of this email. You must not use, disclose, copy, print or rely on this e-mail. If an addressing or transmission error has misdirected this e-mail, kindly notify the author by replying to this e-mail or contacting us by telephone.