[gnso-rpm-wg] 99%+ reduction in sunrise utilization rate per TLD supports EFF call for elimination of sunrise

Jeremy Malcolm jmalcolm at eff.org
Thu Aug 17 18:12:37 UTC 2017

On 17/8/17 10:47 am, Jonathan Frost wrote:

> This brings up a couple of philosophical questions that I hope aren’t
> too far afield, but are implicated by Paul’s comment.
>
>   * What is the definition of consensus (is it unanimity or something
>     less)?
>
>   * Is consensus required for this PDP to make recommendations?
>
>   * Would consensus be required for this PDP to recommend that Sunrise
>     be maintained in the next round (or is consensus only required to
>     recommend a change from the last round)?
>
> I tend to agree with many here that Sunrise leaves a relatively light
> footprint (as opposed to claims), and are useful in the tapestry of
> RPMs, so I think Sunrise is a useful mechanism and should be
> maintained (and improved).  But it’s not clear to me that we can shut
> down recommendations that are unlikely to reach consensus, when their
> opposite is also unlikely to meet consensus.

Since the new gTLD RPMs were not adopted as ICANN policy covering all
gTLDs, there shouldn't be any automatic presumption that they will apply
to future rounds in my view.  It's this group's role to decide whether
they should or not.  If *not* making a decision means that we are, by
default, deciding to extend the new RPMs to future rounds, then we
haven't done our job.  That would create a very bad incentive for people
to gum up the process and avoid reaching consensus, just because by
doing so they will get the outcome that they are looking for anyway.
What kind of multi-stakeholderism is that?

--
Jeremy Malcolm
Senior Global Policy Analyst
jmalcolm at eff.org

Tel: 415.436.9333 ext 161

Public key: https://www.eff.org/files/2016/11/27/key_jmalcolm.txt
PGP fingerprint: 75D2 4C0D 35EA EA2F 8CA8 8F79 4911 EC4A EDDF 1122