[gnso-rpm-wg] Critique of INTA survey

Kurt Pritz kurt at kjpritz.com
Wed Aug 30 17:47:17 UTC 2017

Hi Everyone:

With the exception of the hyperbole at the outset and some slight garbling on confidence level definitions, I largely agree with George.

The extremely low response rate and (more importantly) lack of randomness in the sample of responders essentially prohibits one from drawing any conclusions about the population as a whole. IF the selection was random, then the survey margin of error would be about +/- 18% with a 95% confidence level. This would mean we are 95% sure the margin of error is 18% or less and there is a 5% chance the margin of error is greater.

However, “random" means that we picked the 33 members that responded essentially out of a hat filled with the names of the 6600 members. But that is not what happened. The survey probably received responses from their most DNS-savvy members - those that found the purpose of the survey interesting or where the questions seemed more straight-forward. This significantly skews the results. Georges email demonstrates this in more detail.

I don’t think the survey deals with the skewed data set fairly or honestly. The survey characterizes the findings as traits of the entire membership rather than as traits of the population that responded. This can’t be defended.

For instance, I don’t think it is correct to say: "Vast majority (97%) of members registered domain names in past 24 months, with 9 in 10 registering new TLDs,“ and "9 in 10 members have registered new TLD domains in the past two years in the Sunrise Period."  I think new TLD owners would be very surprised (and happy) to hear this. It would be accurate to say that "97% of the respondents registered….” (See slides 9 and 11)

More harmful to the credibility of the study are statements such as:
3 in 4 members (76%) have incurred costs for internet monitoring of trademarks in the past 2 years, with more than half (57%) of the members spending $10k or more. (see slide 12)
On average, INTA members spend $150,000 per year on defensive actions (see slides 10 & 27)
These are the types of quotes that find themselves into print and become believed. (“INTA members spend $150K each  in defensive efforts, a ~$1 billion cost to industry!”) As George noted, as a rule, larger companies responded and so it can not established by this survey that each of the remaining (smaller) INTA members average $150,000 per year in defensive spend.

There is another interesting facet to the asserted $150K / year spend rate. One company spent $5.2MM. Assuming this $5.2MM spend was over a two-year period, that means that the other 32 respondents averaged (33 x $292K — $5.2MM) / (32 x 2) =  $69,000 / year. So except for one outlier, the per year spend by the brand owners that chose to answer the study is half of what the study states. Why didn’t the study make this clear? (see slide 10).

I am not sure of the purpose of the study but there are uses that can be made of it:

There was one conclusion I could draw. It states that UDRP and Sunrise were the favored rights protection mechanisms, used to a major or moderate extent by 67% and 64% of the respondents respectively. The next most utilized RPMs were Trademark Claims and URS (by 36% and 27% respectively). To me this says that, to those who are in-the-know, Sunrise is a highly-valued RPM and, therefore, should be continued. (Sorry, George) (see slides 15 and 51)

Also, the study makes one fact clear that we have already supposed: that business are not aware of new gTLDs and domain utility in general. There are several data sets that point to this. Rather than education efforts that identify costs and target abuse prevention and mitigation only, Brand education could also describe the benefits of domains as strategic tools, that provide greater access to products and indicia of reliability to brands’ customers.

I know this was way pedantic. Sorry. I can’t be on the call as it is at 4AM my time but I’d be pleased to respond to comments or questions.

Best regards,

Kurt