[gnso-rpm-wg] TMCH Blog

J. Scott Evans jsevans at adobe.com
Thu Feb 2 19:23:27 UTC 2017

George:

The evidentiary weight of a trademark registration differs from
jurisdiction to jurisdiction. In the US, a certificate of registration
from the USPTO does have some proof value, that is subject to certain
defenses for 5 years and a lesser set of defenses should the mark reach
incontestable status after 5 years. I think making sweeping statements
like those contained in your closing paragraph are not helpful.

J. Scott

J. Scott Evans | Associate General Counsel - Trademarks, Copyright,
Domains & Marketing |
Adobe
345 Park Avenue
San Jose, CA 95110
408.536.5336 (tel), 408.709.6162 (cell)
jsevans at adobe.com
www.adobe.com

On 2/2/17, 11:19 AM, "gnso-rpm-wg-bounces at icann.org on behalf of George
Kirikos" <gnso-rpm-wg-bounces at icann.org on behalf of icann at leap.com> wrote:

>Marc: I used the Wikipedia link as a fairly neutral starting point for
>the theory of signalling, and not "authoritative". Would you consider
>the Nobel Prize in Economics for work on signalling to be
>"authoritative" enough for you?
>
>http://www.nobelprize.org/nobel_prizes/economic-sciences/laureates/2001/pr
>ess.html
>
>Or should I have provided (like most of the posts to this list) no
>external references at all, and simply allow people to go to Google on
>their own? Which aspect of the concept of signalling do you disagree
>with?
>
>As for "registrations is proof that the marks are not only worthy of
>protection, but that they are in fact protected under the law of the
>issuing jurisdiction."
>
>Hmmm, that's not correct, given that TM registrations can be and are
>disputed and cancelled. Trademark registration is *evidence* and
>*notice* of a *claim* to a trademark right (perhaps even a strong
>claim), but are not "proof" of anything as a "fact."
>
>Sincerely,
>
>George Kirikos
>416-588-0269
>http://www.leap.com/
>

>On Thu, Feb 2, 2017 at 2:06 PM,  <trachtenbergm at gtlaw.com> wrote:
>> George,
>>
>> Thank you for your economics tutorial based on Wikipedia - certainly an
>>authoritative source.
>>
>> Regardless I don¹t think your application of this to the TMCH is
>>appropriate and disagree with your description  of how the TMCH
>>functions. When trademark holders submit their registrations to the
>>TMCH,  they are not trying to prove that their marks are "worthy" of
>>protection.  The fact that they have registrations is proof that the
>>marks are not only worthy of protection, but that they are in fact
>>protected under the law of the issuing jurisdiction.
>>
>> Best regards,
>>
>> Marc H. Trachtenberg
>> Shareholder
>> Greenberg Traurig, LLP | 77 West Wacker Drive | Suite 3100 | Chicago,
>>IL 60601
>> Tel 312.456.1020
>> Mobile 773.677.3305
>> trachtenbergm at gtlaw.com | www.gtlaw.com

>>> Cxm1c&m=LGFzEnWv-myJ-WyHhwMfs41uWqUos4g3JWuGXUa1FwI&s=A_wfuQ-jCOYyo9r2