[gnso-rpm-wg] TMCH Blog

trachtenbergm at gtlaw.com trachtenbergm at gtlaw.com
Thu Feb 2 19:56:03 UTC 2017

Phil,

While both trademarks and domain names might be intangible assets, one significant difference between them is that a trademark gives one legal rights to prohibit others from using the same or confusingly similar trademark in any medium (print, online, radio, TLDs, a sign, etc) generally (the law is different in every jurisdiction) when such use is likely to cause confusion as to source, sponsorship, or affiliation with the holder of the trademark registration.  A domain name (at least gTLDs) on the other hand, conveys no similar rights.  Any rights to the domain name are contractual in nature only and based on the registration agreement with the registrar (which by the way usually permits the registrar to cancel, modify, or suspend the domain name basically at will) and only prohibit others from registering the same exact domain name because the structure of the DNS requires uniqueness in domain names.

Best regards,

Marc H. Trachtenberg
Shareholder
Greenberg Traurig, LLP | 77 West Wacker Drive | Suite 3100 | Chicago, IL 60601
Tel 312.456.1020
Mobile 773.677.3305
trachtenbergm at gtlaw.com<mailto:trachtenbergm at gtlaw.com> | www.gtlaw.com<http://www.gtlaw.com/>

[Greenberg Traurig]