[gnso-rpm-wg] List of examples for Deloitte (Re: Action items and updated documents from Working Group call of 15 February)

Winterfeldt, Brian J. BWinterfeldt at mayerbrown.com
Wed Feb 22 17:49:03 UTC 2017

Hi all,

In reviewing the list of suggested design marks, I had a few concerns.  I understand that the primary purpose of the exercise is to “test” whether the TMCH would accept these marks based on their existing criteria for handling “device/image” marks as the term is used in the TMCH Guidelines.  But I’m not sure I understand why the three specific marks in the list were selected, and question whether they are appropriate examples for this purpose.

Even without any design elements, each of the three marks (PARENTS, FRUIT OF THE LOOM, and CARS) do not appear to be generic in connection with the goods/services in the respective registrations.  Yes, each mark is composed of words which one could locate in a dictionary but this does not make the marks “generic” in the trademark context because they are tied to goods/services that are not synonymous with the dictionary definition (or a genus or species thereof).  By way of comparison, APPLE is synonymous with a species of fruit and would be generic if used in connection with apples, or perhaps even fruit as a category.  But PARENTS is not synonymous with magazines (even magazines about parenting, child-rearing, etc.), nor are “parents,” as defined in the dictionary, related in any ordinary meaning of the word to magazines.  Similarly, the term CARS would be generic if used in connection with cars, perhaps even a genus or species of car.  But CARS is not synonymous with the goods/services associated with the cited registration, namely “Clothing, namely, belts, coats, gloves, head wear, infantwear, jeans, pants, polo shirts, rainwear, scarves, sweat pants, sweat shirts, and wrist bands.”  See CARS (U.S. Reg. No. 3419857<tel:3419857>) (Apr. 29, 2008).

Finally, FRUIT OF THE LOOM is itself not a generic phrase or term that one would find in the dictionary, even though it is composed of individual words that one could find in the dictionary.  It is a coined phrase that is generally considered to be a “suggestive” trademark, as it “requires imagination, thought and perception to reach a conclusion as to the nature of the goods.”  See, e.g., Abercrombie Fitch Co. v. Hunting World, Inc., 537 F.2d 4, at 10-11<x-apple-data-detectors://3> (quoting 3 Callmann, Unfair Competition, Trademarks and Monopolies § 71.2 (3d ed.)).  Other examples of suggestive trademarks include similar coined phrases composed of individual dictionary words, like CHICKEN OF THE SEA or COPPERTONE.  But suggestive marks are deemed to be inherently distinctive within the meaning of trademark law, and again would not require any design elements to be registrable (at least under US law).

Thus, unsurprisingly, we were able to locate corresponding registrations for just the basic word mark, without any design elements, for both the PARENTS and FRUIT OF THE LOOM marks.  See, e.g., PARENTS (U.S. Reg. No. 2631504<tel:2631504>) (Oct. 8, 2002); FRUIT OF THE LOOM (U.S. Reg. No. 1876708<tel:1876708>) (Jan. 31, 1995).  While our preliminary search did not yield a basic word mark for CARS owned by the same entity as the listed CARS design mark (Disney), this is likely because they only use the design mark in commerce and would not be able to show actual use in commerce of the basic word mark, a fundamental requirement of trademark registration in the US.  That said, there are numerous word mark registrations for CARS owned by various other entities in connection with a wide variety of goods and services.  See, e.g., CARS (U.S. Reg. No. 1862371<tel:1862371>) (Nov. 15, 1994) (used in connection with “computer software for contract administration and rebate management for use by pharmaceutical companies”); CARS (U.S. Reg. No. 3486890<tel:3486890>) (June 3, 2008) (used in connection with “Financial information services, namely, providing ratings and analysis of community development financial institutions, commonly referred to as CDFIs, to assist investors and donors in investment decision-making”).

I tend to agree with some other comments that we might want to focus on marks where the underlying word element is expressly disclaimed in the registration, which is not the case with the three examples above, to see how the TMCH handles such marks.  Ultimately, again, we do not believe it is appropriate for the TMCH to be making judgment calls as to the validity of a submitted mark, so long as the mark is valid and subsisting in the jurisdiction where it is protected (i.e. registered in the national or regional trademark office, protected by statute, or by judicial decree, per the three primary modes of protection described in the TMCH Guidelines).

Finally, for the reasons enumerated by Lori, I’m not sure it would be appropriate to request that the TMCH divulge its own examples of marks currently in the TMCH that represent examples of recorded device/image marks.

I hope this information and suggestions are helpful as the Working Group considers next steps with respect to reverting to Deloitte with additional or clarifying questions around the issue of “device/image” (or “design”) marks.

Best regards,

Brian

Brian J. Winterfeldt
Co-Head of Global Brand Management and Internet Practice
Mayer Brown LLP
bwinterfeldt at mayerbrown.com<mailto:bwinterfeldt at mayerbrown.com>
1999 K Street, NW<x-apple-data-detectors://2/2>
Washington, DC  20006-1101<x-apple-data-detectors://2/2>
202.263.3284<tel:202.263.3284> direct dial
202.830.0330<tel:202.830.0330> fax

1221 Avenue of the Americas<x-apple-data-detectors://3/0>
New York, New York  10020-1001<x-apple-data-detectors://3/0>
212.506.2345<tel:212.506.2345> direct dial