[gnso-rpm-wg] List of examples for Deloitte (Re: Action items and updated documents from Working Group call of 15 February)

Mary Wong mary.wong at icann.org
Thu Feb 23 19:12:14 UTC 2017

Hello all – in response to Brian and Greg, I’m forwarding the message below on behalf of Rebecca Tushnet, as her email does not seem to have reached the full mailing list.

In addition, Working Group members may wish to review the final TMCH framework document that was published in the final version of the Applicant Guidebook (AGB) in June 2012, following previous versions that had appeared in earlier iterations (AGB v4 through 9) based on ICANN staff implementation of the STI recommendations. The final TMCH framework notes that the standards for inclusion into the TMCH are:
3.2.1 Nationally or regionally registered word marks from all jurisdictions.
3.2.2 Any word mark that has been validated through a court of law or other judicial proceeding.
3.2.3 Any word mark protected by a statute or treaty in effect at the time the mark is submitted to the Clearinghouse for inclusion.
3.2.4 Other marks that constitute intellectual property.

Here is Rebecca’s email, in full:

As I'm still having trouble posting to the list, I'd appreciate it if someone would forward this.  From the Recommendations of the Special TM Issues Review Team, 2009, reflecting both the rough consensus and the business constituency minority:

The TC Database should be
required to include nationally
or multinationally registered “text mark” trademarks, from
all jurisdictions, (including
countries where there is no substantive review). (The
trademarks to be included in
the TC are text marks because
“design marks” provide
protection for letters and
words only within the context
of their design or logo and the
STI was under a mandate not
to expand existing trademark
rights.)

Many members of this working group believe that the TMCH shouldn't make "judgment calls" limiting registrants' entitlements under the TMCH system.  This is an understandable conclusion, and one I'm inclined to endorse for ease of implementation, but one that has the practical effect of expanding the ability of registrants to control domain names beyond the goods and services for which their marks are registered.  At the very least, the same modesty of judgment counsels against the TMCH making judgments about what the important parts of a registered mark are, given the mandate not to expand rights.  If someone does have a registration for a word mark without design elements, they can submit it.

In response to Greg Shatan’s note, I’m happy to add in additional information that would help Deloitte evaluate the registration, though I doubt I want to shell out for verified copies of the registrations at issue.  I have added in a question at the beginning of my list to ask for clarification of what qualifies as “prominent” in Deloitte’s inquiry.

In response to Brian Winterfeldt’s specific concerns, I don’t think the issue the Working Group is concerned with is simply with “generic” terms—though given the TMCH’s coverage of domain names regardless of the underlying goods and services, the fact that PARENTS might not be generic for a magazine about parenting is not particularly significant, as our previous discussions of registrations for “and,” “the,” etc. indicate.

I used “parents” because of Gruner + Jahr USA Pub. v. Meredith Corp., 991 F.2d 1072, 1077 (2d Cir. 1993) (“[T]he district court ... properly distinguished between the strength of the trademark PARENTS and the weak, descriptive nature of what it called the ‘mere word “parents”.’ … [T]he trademark registration of the title PARENTS in its distinctive typeface did not confer an exclusive right to plaintiff on variations of the word ‘parent,’ such term being more generic than descriptive.”). I thought CARS was a strong additional suggestion because of the clear limit on Disney’s rights to the term with associated image.  I added FRUIT OF THE LOOM at J. Scott’s suggestion.  It seems to me that FRUIT OF THE LOOM makes a good test case precisely because of the issue Brian W. identifies: by using the graphic version we can see whether Deloitte is in fact making judgments about what’s “important” in the registration submitted to it. The question is not whether textual matter standing alone is registrable; the question is whether it is registered.  My understanding is that this was an important limit on the TMCH, which by consensus does not cover common-law rights that may exist in variants on a registered mark.  So this is a mark that could help us understand what Deloitte is doing.

A small point about Brian W's statement that “our preliminary search did not yield a basic word mark for CARS owned by the same entity as the listed CARS design mark (Disney), this is likely because they only use the design mark in commerce and would not be able to show actual use in commerce of the basic word mark, a fundamental requirement of trademark registration in the US”: In fact, where a word mark is used only in one font or with one design, it can still be registered as a word mark (in standard character form) as long as the word standing alone is registrable.  Thus, use in commerce of a stylized version of a word constitutes “use in commerce” of the associated word. The barrier to Disney’s registration of CARS as a standard character mark is assuredly not “use in commerce”; it is the more fundamental issue of whether CARS can serve as a trademark without its recognizable stylization indicating the Disney franchise.  See Citigroup Inc. v. Capital City Bank Group, Inc., 637 F.3d 1344 (Fed. Cir. 2011) (explaining the scope of a standard character mark).

I think it’s a great idea to add an example of “marks where the underlying word element is expressly disclaimed in the registration.” MUSIC has been suggested, which I think is a very good example, as well as stylized letters such as A.  The recently litigated OWN YOUR POWER case, where the Second Circuit noted that there was no claim to the words apart from their stylized presentation, says instead “[t]he color(s) light blue is/are claimed as a feature of the mark,” and so it is probably also worth adding.