[gnso-rpm-wg] Posting Style (was Re: Proposed Implementation of GNSO Consensus Policy Recommendations for the Protection of IGO&INGO Identifiers in All gTLDs)

George Kirikos icann at leap.com
Mon Jul 10 11:24:22 UTC 2017

Hi Susan,

On Mon, Jul 10, 2017 at 5:42 AM, Susan Payne <susan.payne at valideus.com> wrote:
> George, could you possibly please just email what you want to say in one place rather than inserting text into the middle of other communications?  Below is how it displays for me (and presumably for others too).  It's difficult to spot what you are actually saying - this looks like an email that says "Hi folks," and then nothing else.

That might be an issue with your email client software, as the message
displays properly for me, and in the official archives. e.g. see how
it appears at:

http://mm.icann.org/pipermail/gnso-rpm-wg/2017-July/002169.html

As I noted in an earlier discussion, it's often good practice to use
"inline replying" [or "interleaved posting"] (to quote just the
relevant text from a prior discussion, trimming the text accordingly),
rather than engage in "top-posting" (which can end up with very very
long emails where just a few sentences appear at the top of an email,
with dozens of older messages appearing below.

See the article on Posting Style at:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Posting_style

"Some style guides recommend that, as a general rule, quoted material
in replies should be trimmed or summarized as much as possible,
keeping only the parts that are necessary to make the readers
understand the replies."

"Interleaving continues to be used on technical mailing lists where
clarity within complex threads is important."

Top-posting requires scrolling down below all the "new" text of an
email thread to determine its context, which is less natural and less
productive, in my opinion, than inline replying.