[gnso-rpm-wg] Posting Style (was Re: Proposed Implementation of GNSO Consensus Policy Recommendations for the Protection of IGO&INGO Identifiers in All gTLDs)

George Kirikos icann at leap.com
Mon Jul 10 12:08:27 UTC 2017

Hi Susan,

On Mon, Jul 10, 2017 at 7:34 AM, Susan Payne <susan.payne at valideus.com> wrote:
> I'm aware of how it displays in the official archive.  I simply disagree that this is easier to read or "good practice".

We'll have to agree to disagree, then. There is actually an existing
and longstanding RFC on the topic of "Netiquette" which states:

https://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc1855.txt

"3.1.1 General Guidelines for mailing lists and NetNews
If you are sending a reply to a message or a posting be sure you
summarize the original at the top of the message, or include just
enough text of the original to give a context. This will make sure
readers understand when they start to read your response. Since
NetNews, especially, is proliferated by distributing the postings from
one host to another, it is possible to see a  response to a message
before seeing the original.  Giving context helps everyone.  But do
not include the entire original!"

This is exactly what I've done on this mailing list, i.e. summarized
the original at the top of the message (or included just enough text
of the original to give a context). And I've followed the last
sentence's guideline "But do not include the entire original!" (one of
only 7 sentences in the RFC which is emphasized with an exclamation
mark)

But, I understand that other people's opinions differ, e.g. see the
thread of discussions at:

https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=6926247

with multiple points of view on this burning issue. Live and let live.