[gnso-rpm-wg] Inferences (was Re: Mp3, Attendance, AC recording & AC Chat Review of all Rights Protection Mechanisms (RPMs) PDP Working Group)

George Kirikos icann at leap.com
Wed Jul 12 20:30:03 UTC 2017

Hi again,

Just to followup on my prior email, The Analysis Group *already*
adjusted the stats to attempt to take into account the "mining" theory
that Jeff spoke about. i.e. the 93.7% abandonment figure that we've
been talking about is a figure obtained *after* making the
adjustments! Without the adjustment (which eliminated 62.2% of the
observations), the abandonment rate would have been 99%! See:

https://community.icann.org/download/attachments/64066042/Analysis%20Group%20Revised%20TMCH%20Report%20-%20March%202017.pdf?version=1&modificationDate=1490349029000&api=v2

(a) page 17 (footnote 55)

""As discussed in Section IV, there are two registrars that averaged
downloads of more than 20 trademark strings per download, which is
large compared to the average of fewer than five trademark strings in
the downloads of other registrars. We also exclude downloads made by
ICANN’s monitoring system. The exclusion of the two registrars does
not significantly impact our results. Inclusion of the two registrars
shows that 99% of registrations are abandoned and 0.5% of completed
registrations are disputed."

(b) page 18, note [2]

"[2] A bulk download is defined as a download from the TMCH of
multiple strings by the same registrar with exactly the same time
stamp. Downloads by two registrars are excluded from this analysis
because of a potentially high prevalence of bulk downloads (98.7% and
81.9% of downloads, respectively) by each of these two registrars. The
average size of the “bulk downloads” by these two registrars
(approximately 23 and 35 strings, respectively) is much larger than
the average “bulk download” size of other registrars (other registrars
in the Claims Service data download 5 strings or less on average).
This exclusion results in an exclusion of 62.2% of the observations in
the original Claims Service data received from IBM after excluding
downloads by ICANN's monitoring system."