[gnso-rpm-wg] Inferences (was Re: Mp3, Attendance, AC recording & AC Chat Review of all Rights Protection Mechanisms (RPMs) PDP Working Group)

Winterfeldt, Brian J. BWinterfeldt at mayerbrown.com
Thu Jul 13 23:23:49 UTC 2017

Dear Jeremy:

We appreciate your point of view.  However, the situation seems analogous to the thousands of dollars spent by brands to remedy problems caused through ten dollar domain name registrations.  We suspect that Clearinghouse and Sunrise dispute resolution processes would prove quite affordable, but it is impossible to know for sure without any prior use of those processes.

In addition, we are not sure what you mean with respect to design marks vis-à-vis cancellation proceedings based on abandonment or nonuse, either of which remain viable bases to challenge national trademark registrations.  To that end, claims notices are supposed to contain ample information to identify the cited trademark registrations.

Thank you,

Brian

Brian J. Winterfeldt
Co-Head of Global Brand Management and Internet Practice
Mayer Brown LLP