[gnso-rpm-wg] FW: Inferences (was Re: Mp3, Attendance, AC recording & AC Chat Review of all Rights Protection Mechanisms (RPMs) PDP Working Group)

George Kirikos icann at leap.com
Mon Jul 17 16:08:30 UTC 2017

Hi Susan,

On Mon, Jul 17, 2017 at 11:54 AM, Susan Payne <susan.payne at valideus.com> wrote:
> George K - could you explain what you mean by the following:
>
> "We already know that the percentage of gamed/abused sunrise registrations exceeds the proportion of domains that lead to a UDRP."
>
> How do we know this?

Thank you for your question. We know that the overall rate of UDRPs
relative to registrations is far below 0.1% (either for new gTLDs or
legacy gTLDs like .com/net/org). So, even if we assume 0.1% as the
benchmark (actual benchmark might be more like 0.01%), we've seen
higher rates than that for gaming of the sunrises (i.e. 1% of the
average 130 sunrise registrations would be 0.13 domains per TLD, and
we've multiple ones like HOTEL, HOTELS, THE, HOSTING, and so on
already identified, without systematic and complete access to the TMCH
to reveal even more of them.