[gnso-rpm-wg] FW: Inferences (was Re: Mp3, Attendance, AC recording & AC Chat Review of all Rights Protection Mechanisms (RPMs) PDP Working Group)

Greg Shatan gregshatanipc at gmail.com
Mon Jul 17 19:42:56 UTC 2017

George,

Thank you for reminding me about your March email where you mentioned the
owner of the HOTEL TMCH record.  I'm sorry if I haven't memorized The
Uncollected Emails of George Kirikos as well as you have. My thank you
would be a bit more sincere if you had actually framed it as a reminder,
rather than comparing me to an amnesiac.

In any event I'll match my junk math with your junk math, particularly with
regard to choice of denominators (and motivations for making such
choices).  However, I will grant you that it is likely that abusive/gamed
TMCH records will be used more often in Sunrise than other TMCH records on
average -- *because that is the reason they were recorded in the TMCH in
the first place*!

But you don't need to convince me that abuse/gaming of the TMCH is an
issue.  I agree that it is and it seems to be coming from speculators.  As
such, bona fide brandowners have as much of an interest in mitigating this
problem as any other stakeholder group.

I note that according to your March email, the owner of the HOTEL TMCH
record is Hotel Top Level Domain GMBH, the registry for .HOTEL.  I also
note that number 10 on the list is LUXURY, owned by ILUX Holdings, which
shares an address with the applicant fo the .LUXURY TLD (at a nice, upscale
home in Hidden Hills, CA).  Perhaps a rule prohibiting registries from
participating in Sunrise with a TMCH record that matches their TLD would
help quite a bit.....  (Unless somebody has an argument that this is a Good
Thing).  It also appears that we may not need to go too far afield to
resolve many of the abuse/gaming problems, since of the four abusers
identified, two are registries and one is a registrar.

However, if the goal of comparing these two percentages is to somehow
convey or convince someone that TMCH gaming is a bigger or more serious
problem than domain-based IP infringement, then it is completely
unconvincing.

Finally, if you think that domain-based IP infringement is comparable to
"granny eating a grape"  you will get extremely strong disagreement from
me, along with every other brandowner, large and small, and their
representatives that has ever sought to enforce their rights against an
infringing domain name.  That is a premise that will get us nowhere,
slowly. As is the premise that civil litigation is a preferable mechanism
to resolving domain name infringement -- I could write a book on why that's
not the case but I'm sure somebody else (Paul McGrady?) already has done
so....

In any case, we should stop this "measuring contest" and move on to solving
problems.....

Greg