[gnso-rpm-wg] Correction to UDRP data on 2-June TM Claims Sub-Team call

George Kirikos icann at leap.com
Fri Jun 9 10:04:19 UTC 2017

Hello,

On Fri, Jun 9, 2017 at 5:42 AM, Beckham, Brian <brian.beckham at wipo.int> wrote:
> Without looking at the links you provide, you will see that a search on WIPO's database for "TMCH" shows 33 hits:
> http://www.wipo.int/amc/en/domains/search/fulltext_decisions.jsp?q=tmch.
>
> A search for "Trademark Clearinghouse" shows 72 hits:
> http://www.wipo.int/amc/en/domains/search/fulltext_decisions.jsp?tab=1&q=%22Trademark+Clearinghouse%22&rows=20.
>
> These results are against the almost 1,200 UDRP cases involving new gTLDs that have been filed at WIPO.  (Even the 100 and 298 figures you cite below, which are presumably across all providers?)
>
> In my book, these statistics (0.0275 and 0.06 percent respectively) qualify as "very few".

72 out of 1200 is 6 percent, not 0.06 percent.  [similarly 33 out of
1200 is 2.75%, not 0.0275 percent] Whether that's a "few" or "very
few" or "high" is subjective -- having the raw numbers is less
subjective. I personally would not call 72 cases "very few" (and that
wouldn't include NAF, etc., or the cases where it's mentioned in a
complaint, but not in the decision]

If 6% of UDRPs result in a RDNH result, some might call that "very
high" --- it's all a matter of perspective.