[gnso-rpm-wg] Intellectual Property Constituency Statement on Letter Circulated by EFF

Greg Shatan gregshatanipc at gmail.com
Wed Mar 29 15:57:54 UTC 2017

The IPC offered the following statement at ICANN58:

The IPC has seen the letter sent to the Chairs of the Rights Protection
Mechanisms Review Working Group and published by the EFF.  We are concerned
that this letter contains an unfortunate number of points which are
misleading and inaccurate, particularly in its characterizations of the
ICANN RPMs.  Since this letter came during ICANN58, the IPC will not have
the opportunity to respond fully to these points and to the concerns
expressed in this letter until after the ICANN meeting.  Our members are
deeply engaged in this week’s policy discussions, including the RPM review,
and we need to stay focused on the work here.

We do need to note that (as the ICANN community knows) the RPMs are the
result of ICANN consensus policy and multistakeholder processes, and
represent a compromise between multiple stakeholder groups, including civil
society and noncommercial users   We also note that a number of the
signatories to the letter do not currently participate in discussions of
these topics at ICANN, and we would certainly welcome their involvement in
the RPM Review Working Group as we engage in the critical discussion and
assessment of the RPMs.

​est Regards,

​
Greg Shatan