[gnso-rpm-wg] Updated table of TMCH proposals and glossary of terms

Greg Shatan gregshatanipc at gmail.com
Wed May 3 16:11:19 UTC 2017

Replies in-line below.

On Wed, May 3, 2017 at 10:51 AM, Rebecca Tushnet <
Rebecca.Tushnet at law.georgetown.edu> wrote:

> Greg, I haven't seen anyone claim that there is a "rule" that
> composite marks only protect the entirety of the mark, particularly
> with respect to the scope of the mark against similar but not
> identical mark.

​Rebecca, I agree with you that there is no such rule.  As I read Kathy's
statement, it appears to say exactly that, as she asked for the following
"rule" (her word, not mine) to be inserted into the definition of composite
marks: *"However, the fundamental rule in this situation is that the marks
must be considered in their entireties."*​ Without the context of where
this quote came from, it leaves the distinct impression that there is a
rule that composite marks only protect the entirety of the mark,
particularly when read together with Kathy's final paragraph, which says.
"The key difference, of course, is the "registration of a standard
character mark would entitle you to use and protect the mark in any font
style, size, or color" and the others don't."  The other don't ... what?
Don't protect the mark in any font style, size or color other than the one
claimed?  Or don't protect the mark in every possible font style, size or
color?  It's not clear (this type of sentence construction drives many
non-native-English speakers nuts, by the way)

> Rather, from the registration of a composite mark, we
> simply don't know whether the text itself--the only element that can
> go into the TMCH--is protected. Maybe it is; maybe it isn't.

​It's hardly the toss-up that you imply it is.  In virtually all cases, the
text element of a composite mark is protected.  The current TMCH rule,
which excludes composite marks where the text is not dominant or separable,
takes care of those fe cases where the text element is not protected, other
than the "disclaimer" situation.  I've proposed that marks where there is
an express disclaimer of all text be kept out of the TMCH.

In any event, composite marks are distinguished from stylized text marks,
where it is clear that the text is protected.

An
> applicant for the TMCH should have to prove that the thing it seeks to
> insert into the TMCH, and to use in notices/Sunrise, is protected by a
> registration or court decision, not that it might be protected.

​The registration provides that proof, except for the very limited
circumstances already kept out of the TMCH, noted above, and the disclaimer
situation.​  The TMCH should not be in the business of re-examining
trademark registrations.

> This
> seems to me quite similar to the position many people are taking with
> respect to GIs.

​I don't see the similarity.  With respect to GIs, the position I see many
people taking is that GIs that are not registered as trademarks should not
be placed in the TMCH (based on the underlying position that GIs are a
discrete form of intellectual property, which are only given protection
through trademark law in some jurisdictions, and only when they qualify for
such protection).

Greg
​