[gnso-rpm-wg] Deadline for proposals and agenda for the next Working Group call
jonathan.agmon at ip-law.legal
Tue May 16 05:57:52 UTC 2017
In view of Claudio's proposal, I would like to support putting the TMCH question #8 on hold until the GI issue is considred substantively within the scope of the RPMs.
I would also note that I believe my proposal was presented some time ago in a call made on a Far East convenient time, but I may be wrong there. If it hasn't, since I will be flying on the 17th (to INTA) I would like to set another time for presenting my proposal. I would appreciate if we can do so after INTA around the 26 at a Far East convenient time.
Jonathan Agmon (胡韩森)
Attorney and Counsellor at Law (admitted in New York)
jonathan.agmon at ip-law.legal<mailto:jonathan.agmon at ip-law.legal>
T SG +65 6532 2577
T US +1 212 999 6180
T IL +972 9 950 7000
F IL +972 9 950 5500
Soroker Agmon Nordman Pte Ltd.
133 New Bridge Road, #13-02, 059413 SINGAPORE
8 Hahoshlim Street P.O. Box 12425 4672408 Herzliya, ISRAEL
This message is confidential. It may also be privileged or otherwise protected by work product immunity or other legal rules. If you have received it by mistake, please let us know by e-mail reply and delete it from your system; you may not copy this message or disclose its contents to anyone. Please send us by fax any message containing deadlines as incoming e-mails are not screened for response deadlines. The integrity and security of this message cannot be guaranteed on the Internet.
From: ipcdigangi at gmail.com
Sent: 15 May 2017 21:05
To: mary.wong at icann.org
Cc: gnso-rpm-wg at icann.org
Subject: Re: [gnso-rpm-wg] Deadline for proposals and agenda for the next Working Group call
Thank you for the direction provided in your recent note.
With regards to GIs, our Charter, https://gnso.icann.org/en/drafts/rpm-charter-15mar16-en.pdf, states the following:
"Examine the protection of country names and geographical indications, and generally of indications of source, within the RPMs."
In my view, this signifies that the issue of GIs is properly within scope, but if anyone feels differently I would encourage substantive feedback so we can resolve any alternative points of views on this subject.
On the basis of this charter objective, I suggest we: 1) add the consideration of GIs to the policy review of the Sunrise and Claims services; and 2) withhold final consideration of the current TMCH proposals relating to GIs, until we conclude the policy review of the new gTLD RPMs (as described in the Charter).
The Clearinghouse is a database designed to administratively support the RPMs across new gTLDs. When we conduct the policy review of the RPMs, we can assess the nature of the protections and assess whether any changes are needed to protect the rights of others, consistent with the GNSO policy recommendations on new gTLDs. The specific design of the Clearinghouse database, and the associated IP records contained therein, should be consistent with the outcome of that policy assessment.
I hope these suggestions are helpful.
On Fri, May 12, 2017 at 2:14 PM, Mary Wong <mary.wong at icann.org<mailto:mary.wong at icann.org>> wrote:
Apologies, that deadline for submission of proposals should (of course) be Wednesday 24 MAY 2017 (and not February!!!)
Sorry for any confusion,
From: <gnso-rpm-wg-bounces at icann.org<mailto:gnso-rpm-wg-bounces at icann.org>> on behalf of Mary Wong <mary.wong at icann.org<mailto:mary.wong at icann.org>>
Date: Friday, May 12, 2017 at 20:13
To: "gnso-rpm-wg at icann.org<mailto:gnso-rpm-wg at icann.org>" <gnso-rpm-wg at icann.org<mailto:gnso-rpm-wg at icann.org>>
Subject: [gnso-rpm-wg] Deadline for proposals and agenda for the next Working Group call
On behalf of the Working Group co-chairs, this note is being sent to inform you that the co-chairs would like to bring the discussions on the various open questions relating to the TMCH to a close within a reasonable period of time. This will allow us to move on to the next part of Phase One of our work, which will be to review the Sunrise and Trademark Claims RPMs. As such, please note that the co-chairs are asking that any proposal you may wish to submit on the TMCH review – including any refinement of a previously-submitted proposal and especially relating to the ongoing discussion on design marks, GIs and expanding the “identical match” test – should be sent to this mailing list no later than Wednesday 24 February 2017.
For the next Working Group meeting, scheduled for Wednesday 17 May, here is the proposed agenda:
1. Roll call (via Adobe Connect and phone bridge only); updates to Statements of Interest
2. Progress reports from the chairs of the Sunrise and Trademark Claims Sub Teams
3. Continue discussion of open TMCH questions:
· Geographical Indications (with the opportunity for Jonathan Agmon or his designee to present his proposal, being the only proposal that has not yet been presented to the group at a meeting)
· Expanding the “identical match” test
· [if time permits Design marks
4. Next steps/next meeting
Please note also that there will not be a Working Group meeting the following Wednesday, 24 May, since many Working Group members will be at the International Trademark Association Annual Meeting.
Thanks and cheers
gnso-rpm-wg mailing list
gnso-rpm-wg at icann.org<mailto:gnso-rpm-wg at icann.org>
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Size: 7844 bytes
More information about the gnso-rpm-wg