[gnso-rpm-wg] Article on Combo-squatting study conducted by Georgia Instutute of Technology and Stony Brook University affecting our discussion of Trademark + Industry Terms in the TMCH, Sunrise and Claims (among other RPMs that it may also implicate)

Doug Isenberg disenberg at gigalawfirm.com
Thu Nov 16 21:12:32 UTC 2017

FWIW, while I’ve actually never before heard the phrase “combosquatting,” WIPO’s newest “Overview” of the UDRP (updated earlier this year) makes clear that such domain names fall within the UDRP’s “confusingly similar” test.  The Overview says: “While each case is judged on its own merits, in cases where a domain name incorporates the entirety of a trademark, or where at least a dominant feature of the relevant mark is recognizable in the domain name, the domain name will normally be considered confusingly similar to that mark for purposes of UDRP standing.”  That is, inclusion of another word in a domain name that contains a trademark normally means that the domain name is confusingly similar to the trademark (and, therefore, satisfies the first of the UDRP’s three tests).

This has been going on for so long that I would not have thought it was getting worse, but I look forward to reading the study.

Douglas M. Isenberg

Attorney at Law

 <https://giga.law/>

Phone: 1-404-348-0368

Email:  <mailto:Doug at Giga.Law> Doug at Giga.Law

Website:  <https://giga.law/> Giga.Law