[gnso-rpm-wg] Article on Combo-squatting study conducted by Georgia Instutute of Technology and Stony Brook University affecting our discussion of Trademark + Industry Terms in the TMCH, Sunrise and Claims (among other RPMs that it may also implicate)

George Kirikos icann at leap.com
Fri Nov 17 13:57:28 UTC 2017

Hi Paul,

I'm not sure if that was a parody post, or whether the point I was
making was missed. If one reasonably extrapolates and gets to a point
where one has to claim that more than 100% of all domains are abusive,
that implies something is wrong with one's starting point (i.e. the
claimed abuse for the small sample was likely overstated; or as Zhou
Heng noted earlier, was unrepresentative, just like the poorly done
INTA study).

To get a sense of scale, 268 marks is less than 1% of just the
TMCH-listed marks. And the set of TMCH-listed marks (what was it, 40K
or 50K total?) are a small subset of all TMs.

Another data point was the number from Nominet released earlier this week:

https://www.nominet.uk/collaboration-keeps-uk-safe-record-16000-domains-suspended/

"The criminality report shows that the number of .UK domains suspended
between 1 November 2016 and 31 October 2017 has once again doubled
year on year to 16,632, which represents around 0.14% of the more than
12 million .UK domains currently registered."

I think that's perhaps a more realistic metric of the incidence of
criminality (0.14%), and those suspensions *include* IP-related crime.