[gnso-rpm-wg] Availability of Court for Domain Name owners challenging a URS decision -- false assumption?

George Kirikos icann at leap.com
Tue Nov 21 12:23:30 UTC 2017

Hi Jonathan,

The point I was trying to make with regards to the PDDRP is that it
might suffer from the same kind of rulings in the UK, whereby the
registry operator, after going through the PDDRP process initiated by
a TM holder complainant might find themselves unable to get the de
novo review of that PDDRP decision. i.e. due to the same "flip
flopping" of the roles of plaintiffs/defendants, where X suing Y in
court is subtly different from Y suing X in court, even though the
underlying issue in dispute is the same. I don't know if there's a
legal technical term for that difference, but I see it as a lack of
perfect symmetry (i.e. it actually does matter which party is the
plaintiff and which party is the defendant, in some circumstances).

Have a nice Thanksgiving holiday week.