[gnso-rpm-wg] Agenda, documents and discussion questions for upcoming RPM Working Group call

Mary Wong mary.wong at icann.org
Tue Sep 26 16:32:53 UTC 2017

Dear all,

Please find below the proposed agenda for our upcoming Working Group call, scheduled for Thursday 28 September at 0300 UTC (reminder: as this is the APAC time zone-friendly rotating call, this means the call will take place on Wednesday evening for members based in the Americas):

  1.  Roll call (via Adobe Connect and phone bridge only); updates to Statements of Interest
  2.  De-briefing: GNSO Council discussion of and decision on our data request (Phil, Kathy, staff)
  3.  Group discussion: what existing information there is, and what additional data/information may be required for further discussions on the current Additional Marketplace RPMs (see further notes below for more details and questions for consideration)?
  4.  Next steps on Additional Marketplace RPMs
  5.  Next steps on data research / next meeting

For Agenda Item #2, members may wish to review the recording and/or transcript of the Council’s discussion prior to our meeting:

  *   http://audio.icann.org/gnso/gnso-council-20sep17-en.mp3 (recording, starting around 20 minutes into the call till around the 70-minute mark);
  *   https://gnso.icann.org/en/meetings/transcript-council-20sep17-en.pdf (transcript, pages 10-32);
  *   https://gnso.icann.org/en/meetings/transcript-chat-council-20sep17-en.pdf (AC chat transcript, pages 3-7).

For Agenda Item #3, please review the information that staff had compiled on the current Additional Marketplace RPMs being offered by several Registry Operators and circulated last Thursday (21 September). This document has been uploaded to the Working Group wiki space here as well: https://community.icann.org/x/o4BEB

Your review will assist in the Working Group’s discussion of the following questions:

  *   What data do we need to answer the questions related to the Additional Marketplace RPMs?
  *   To who and how do we go to gather it?
  *   Can any of these data requests be quickly/easily/cheaply added to the surveys of "anecdotal data" requests approved by the GNSO Council last week that will be going out to Registrars, Registrars, Trademark Owners, Registrants, etc.?

For Agenda Item #4, the co-chairs’ suggestion for Working Group consideration is the creation of a small, fast-moving subgroup to:

  *   Review the list of data wanted and needed for Additional Marketplace Protections Questions, with input of the Working Group, look at information staff provided at the end of last week on the Additional Marketplace RPMs provided by Donuts, M+M and Rightside; and share with the Working Group which questions these appear to address (in whole or in part).
  *   Review the approved data request in light of the Council’s additional direction for the Working Group to maximize the value of the data gathered, with recommendations for the Working Group of revisions or changes.

For the subgroup, and assuming there is general agreement on this approach, a Call for Volunteers will start following this call. The Working Group co-chairs would like to ask the chairs of the Sunrise and Trademark Claims Sub Teams (Lori Schulman, Kristine Dorrain and Michael Graham) to participate, and encourage Working Group members familiar with survey work to join as well.

Thanks and cheers
Mary