[gnso-rpm-wg] [Ext] Re: REMINDER re: Nominations for RPM Working Group Co-Chair

George Kirikos icann at leap.com
Mon Apr 30 11:42:37 UTC 2018

Hi Greg,

The Wikipedia link supports my argument, not yours. First, WIPO
doesn't use the term "legal case". The Wikipedia page says:

"At any point during the case, the parties can agree to a settlement,
which will end the case, although in some circumstances, such as in
class actions, a settlement requires court approval in order to be
binding."

i.e. it's a case at **all times**, from the moment it is started, to
the moment it ends. Even WIPO agrees, because their own page says:

"Court cases that are pending or for which no order/decision is
available are not published on this list."

i.e. their own implicit definition of a "court case" *includes cases*
that are pending (but then they won't publish them until there is an
order/decision.

Your argument was lost when the lawsociety.com case was posted a
couple of emails ago. Learn to cut your losses. :-) Writing off
evidence that proves you're wrong as just 'an anomaly' doesn't work.

What's amusing is that you're kind of painting yourself into a corner
--- because if we were to pivot and ask "Where are all the examples of
cybersquatting that require RPMs such as the UDRP/URS/TMCH, etc?" some
folks would point to the most expansive non-judicial examples and
claim "This is cybersquatting" (some have great imaginations, and
claim enormous damage from all that cybersquatting), even though there
are actually very few cybersquatting cases that make it through the
courts to an reasoned verdict. If we were to follow your overly narrow
interpretations in the email exchanges of the past few days, we should
set a very narrow definition of cybersquatting, to be consistent, i.e.
only cite those cases where a judge declares that it is cybersquatting
with a reasoned order (and not via a consent order/settlement, either)
as examples of "cybersquatting."

Quick test, Greg: was the Verizon iREIT case an example of
cybersquatting, that justifies RPMs? Remember, nothing was ever proven
in court (as it was settled).

I say it *was* clear-cut cybersquatting, but for you to be consistent,
you'd have to say "No, that wasn't cybersquatting, George."

Should you answer "No", then I really wonder why we need the
UDRP/URS/TMCH, since there'd be very little evidence of actual
cybersquatting (evidence via reasoned verdicts of the courts, by that
narrowest definition of "evidence").