[gnso-rpm-wg] REMINDER/AGENDA: Upcoming RPM PDP Working Group Meeting 01 August at 17:00 UTC

George Kirikos icann at leap.com
Wed Aug 1 12:52:55 UTC 2018

Hi folks,

Without going into detail on all the documents (which were sent just 5
hours before our scheduled call), I'd like to reiterate my concerns
expressed in late June:

https://mm.icann.org/pipermail/gnso-rpm-wg/2018-June/003186.html

that the survey results of practitioners gives too much weight to
those representing complainants, and also is too small a sample to
have statistical significance. We spent considerable time as a group
creating the survey questions. Instead of sending it to all
practitioners who participated in a URS dispute (already a relatively
small group), it was instead sent only to those who were "repeat
customers" so to speak. That reduced the number of responses
considerably, and also made it unrepresentative. Rather than
attempting to draw conclusions from such a sample, the proper course
should have been to go back and collect all the data (i.e. from those
who participated in 1 or more URS disputes), rather than an
unrepresentative and small sample.

To understand why it's unrepresentative, suppose we were studying the
experiences of those who visited a restaurant, for a Yelp review, etc.
It's highly likely that those who've only visited that restaurant one
time will have had different impressions than those who have visited
5+ times. Those who didn't like the food or service on their first
visit would not go back for a 2nd or 3rd meal. By not giving any
weight at all to those unsatisfied visitors (by not surveying them),
it creates an unrepresentative sample of those that remain, who on
balance are expected to have liked the restaurant, given they've gone
5+ times to it.

To understand the true experience of the URS, we need to have more
data from respondents/registrants themselves, an important stakeholder
in this process (not just providers and representatives of
complainants).