[gnso-rpm-wg] Proposed Procedures for URS Policy and Operational Recommendations; Draft Agenda for 22 Aug Call

Corwin, Philip pcorwin at verisign.com
Tue Aug 21 20:10:11 UTC 2018

George:

The proposed procedure is a work in progress and will not be made final until after WG discussion and feedback on tomorrow’s call, as well as on the email list for a day or two after – we want WG members to understand and feel comfortable with this proposed procedural path forward before it is implemented.

Our intent is to have a fair, efficient and uniform procedure that provides the same format and structure for the consideration of all WG proposals, and the same criteria for inclusion in the Initial report for public comment. We have no intent to discriminate against any specific proposal or WG member.

This procedural proposal is biased toward the inclusion of proposals in the Initial Report (IR) for the purpose of soliciting public comment from the broader community. In other words, if a proposal has substantial support within the WG it will be included in the IR even if it also elicits substantial opposition – all wisdom does not reside within our ranks, and a community commenter may well provide a suggestion for compromise that narrows the gap in views. (On the other hand, the consensus call process for the Final Report will be quite different, as only proposals that have achieved Full Consensus, or Consensus, within the WG will go forward to Council, while those that continue to attract both substantial support and opposition will be categorized as having divergence and will go by the wayside unless the opposing sides reach compromise.)

Addressing your concerns (and the other co-chairs may well have additional views they wish to share):

*       It is intended that, for those proposals for which a poll after WG call discussion is utilized to determine whether substantial support exists, the results shall be transparent – that the names of participants and the position taken shall be published.
*       There is a starting presumption that recommendations emerging from a sub-team already possess substantial support because they were collectively developed and agreed upon by multiple WG members from varied interests and therefore should be included in the IR for comment, especially since the bias of this process is toward inclusion. My personal view is that a sub-team recommendation should be included even if there is substantial opposition, and should be excluded and merely documented/referenced only if full WG discussion reveals that it enjoys no support outside the sub-team membership and also incites substantial opposition. In any event, when a sub-team recommendation elicits substantial opposition it will be the subject of a poll to determine overall WG support/opposition.

There is no presumption that substantial support already exists for a new proposal coming from an individual WG member because it comes from a  single person rather than a team. That said, if it receives substantial support from other WG members it will be included in the IR for comment, even if it also generates substantial opposition.

So I personally believe that what you characterize as a “double standard” is actually just a recognition that sub-team recommendations have been collectively developed and already achieved support from multiple members of the WG, while proposals from individual members have yet to be vetted. But this is open for discussion tomorrow.

*       Finally, on the subject of setting an objective measure for the determination of whether substantial support or opposition exists for a particular proposal, that is difficult to do in  advance as different proposals may attract significantly varying volumes of oral comment or poll participation, as well as because the GNSO WG Guidelines do not permit voting. That said, the co-chairs are committed to acting in a transparent and uniform manner in regard to all proposals, and to articulating the basis for any determination that a proposal does or does not have substantial support (which is the key criteria, given that once that exists a proposal will be included in the IR for comment even if substantial opposition also exists).

I hope that you and other members of the WG find my response to be helpful and I look forward to our discussion on tomorrow’s call.

Philip

Philip S. Corwin

Policy Counsel

VeriSign, Inc.