[gnso-rpm-wg] Recordings, Attendance, & AC Chat for Review of all Rights Protection Mechanisms (RPMs) PDP Working Group call on Thursday, 01 February 2018

BECKHAM, Brian brian.beckham at wipo.int
Tue Feb 6 14:18:09 UTC 2018

Thanks Rebecca,

On this perhaps somewhat semantic point, I tend to agree, and I could be wrong but I think what is actually meant is a "substantive" review (which as was noted by several people on the call, risks re-litigating cases without the benefit of the pleadings - and drawing policy implications therefrom).  Below I was merely quoting from the transcript.

In terms of the appeals/lack thereof, with respect, I think it is pretty well articulated below ("to see if registrants themselves believe the standard is being misapplied").

Another perhaps more colloquial way of putting it would be to say, if there are misgivings about the standard being applied in the URS - and to your point about drawing policy inferences form the rate of default, and especially when it literally costs nothing* to respond - are people putting their money where their mouth is, so to speak?

* Except in consolidated cases against 15 or more domain names, which I think may not yet have even occurred.

The point was that we are in somewhat of a chicken-and-egg scenario, so my suggestion was merely intended to propose a more rational and focused first pass to review select cases, if indeed it is even the collective consensus of the WG to do so (which so far seems far from clear).

If a first pass at such a narrower dataset reveals it would be beneficial to expand the effort, the WG could take it from there.

Best regards,

Brian