[gnso-rpm-wg] Food for Thought: DMCA procedure at YouTube contrast with URS/UDRP

Paul Keating Paul at law.es
Mon Jan 8 11:30:36 UTC 2018

George,

I know that a response has already been posted but I wanted to add my
quick thoughts.

I agree that the DMCA and the UDRP/URS are not identical.  In fact the
roles remain reversed throughout the UDRP/URS process.  The DMCA merely
provides a notice, take-down followed by the opportunity to revive the
posting.  Once reposting occurs the issue remains as it was before the
notice - the copyright owner must proceed with litigation.  The UDRP/URS
however, results in the domain being transferred/suspended or not.  In the
case of transfer, it is the registrant that must file.  In the case the
complaint is denied then the trademark owner has that burden (like the
copyright owner in the DMCA example).

PRK