[gnso-rpm-wg] Food for Thought: DMCA procedure at YouTube contrast with URS/UDRP

Dorrain, Kristine dorraink at amazon.com
Mon Jan 8 19:49:26 UTC 2018

I very strongly suggest that this group invite the providers to come discuss the actual workings of the URS.  If you read the technical specs along with the URS itself (URS 10.3 - *Complainant* extends the registration for a year at *commercial rates* and URS Rule 14(b) which says a Complainant must discuss renewal with the registry directly), you will see that the TM owner needs to request the extension and pay for it.  This is not the first time people have made erroneous assumptions on this list about how they think URS works.

PLEASE ASK THE PROVIDERS or a registrar or registry before assuming a registrar would be on the hook for a renewal fee if the complainant didn't pay.

Nevertheless, I note that in my past experience, there was a significant amount of good faith confusion by registry operators, registrars, and prevailing TM owners about how this renewal was to work, so I do recommend this group review the process as there is likely room for improvement.

Thanks,

Kristine