[gnso-rpm-wg] Actions & Notes: RPM PDP WG 30 May 2018

Tushnet, Rebecca rtushnet at law.harvard.edu
Thu May 31 02:02:14 UTC 2018

Thanks, Justine.  First, we haven't made any claims about statistical significance--that's not usually the kind of claim one makes when studying a universe and not testing a hypothesis (e.g., what might have happened had we provided half the universe/sample with free access to counsel).  The percentages that can be seen from the data are the percentages from the universe.  One might well argue that we have enough cases now to draw some conclusions about the functioning of the system, but it's not a matter of sampling.

For other decisions made during coding, you can see them under the tab for "Fields and Methodology,"

As you note, AB is a matter of determining what's in the decision and lacks a discretionary component.

I don't think that V, W, and X require much if anything in the way of judgment: exact string matching (V) is pretty self-explanatory, and W and X sort among the remaining domain names.  We haven't done any percentage analysis relying on V, W, and X, but if you're concerned about categorization, collapsing W and X into "non-identical string" could remove any discretion.  Final note: In the page on methodology, you can see that spaces and hyphens were disregarded in determining placement into these categories.

Y, Z, and AA: I'd be the last person to claim that there's much objective about sorting terms between descriptive and suggestive!  That's got to be a matter of judgment.

Rebecca Tushnet
Frank Stanton Professor of First Amendment Law, Harvard Law School
703 593 6759