[gnso-rpm-wg] URS / UDRP proposals -- data on registrar/registry compliance costs

Jonathan Frost jonathan at get.club
Wed Sep 5 17:15:23 UTC 2018

I agree that Registries and Registrars need to be able to recover the cost
of administering the URS/UDRPs, as part of the filing fee.

The costs that the Registries/Registrars bear actually goes beyond what Reg
has said.  There are situations where we have to go to outside counsel or
even ICANN to resolve ambiguities in complying with the rules.
Additionally, the 24 hour action requirement on locking a domain that has
received a URS complaint actually increases the resources that have to be
dedicated, beyond the actual number of minutes per complaint, because
compliance personal has to allocate/reserve a certain time per day to
perform the tasks, even if no complaint is received that day.

Just like the arbitration administrators charge a cost recovery fee for
administration as part of the filing fee, it's just common since that the
Registries/Registrars would too.

Jonathan Frost