[gnso-rpm-wg] URS / UDRP proposals -- data on registrar/registry compliance costs

Jonathan Frost jonathan at get.club
Fri Sep 7 14:20:59 UTC 2018

Paul,

I think the misunderstanding here is that when I say "lifetime lock", I'm
only referring to the fact that, under 10.2 of the URS Procudures (
http://newgtlds.icann.org/en/applicants/urs/procedure-01mar13-en.pdf), when
a party prevails in a URS case, the domain is locked for the life of the
domain registration: "Immediately upon receipt of the Determination, the
Registry Operator shall suspend the domain name, *which shall remain
suspended for the balance of the registration period* and would not resolve
to the original web site. "

I merely pointed this out to show a potential conflict with the rules of a
subsequently filed UDRP.   And I was only pointing it out to support
George's point that the registry operators / registrars are sustaining
costs associated with administration, and should be equally entitled to
cost recovery as WIPO/NAF.

This seems like common sense to me.

Jonathan