[gnso-rpm-wg] URS / UDRP proposals -- data on registrar/registry compliance costs

Scott Austin SAustin at vlplawgroup.com
Sat Sep 8 21:32:41 UTC 2018

Mitch:

The balance of what equities? It is easy to assume away the problem speculating that "A subsequent user could use a domain name legitimately".  There is nothing in your comment that supports this speculation that the domain name once released from suspension would be available to or of interest to fewer cybersquatters. In fact it may now have alerted new ones to its potential.

Before the suspension the odds may have been even that the domain could be put to legitimate or illegitimate use. Once the domain has demonstrated its capacity for attractiveness to cybersquatters for illegitimate use through confusing similarity to a registered mark that resulted in URS suspension, the odds are more likely the domain, now established as having verified potential to benefit from confusing similarity with a registered mark, would have gained a cybersquatting seal of approval and perhaps the attention of a wider audience.

What is your evidence that the domain post suspension is more likely to be used for legitimate purposes. Clearly at least one registrant was attracted to the domain and found value in it for illegitimate use. Why not others? More importantly, what is to prevent that same registrant, masked under the guise of a new entity, from returning for a second bite at the apple when suspension ends and the domain is once again at market? Especially when there is no vetting of the true ownership of a new entity that could be used by the former cybersquatting registrant's owner to apply for its second round of illegitimate use.

Shorter suspension periods mean the domain is more quickly cycled back into the queue for, more likely, another round of whack a mole deterrence on the part of the trademark holder. That is assuming another battle on a different domain name front hasn't weakened or distracted their vigilance at the time suspension ends.

There is no transfer remedy under the URS, but would you be adverse Mitch to granting a successful complainant a right of first opportunity to register the disputed domain when suspension ends? If not why not?

Best regards,
Scott

Please click below to  use my booking calendar to schedule:
  a 15-minute call<calendly.com/saustin-2/15min>    a 30-minute call<calendly.com/saustin-2/30min>    a 60-minute call<calendly.com/saustin-2/60min>

[cid:image001.png at 01D44791.F69C85B0][IntellectualPropertyLaw 100]    [microbadge[1]] <http://www.avvo.com/attorneys/33308-fl-scott-austin-1261914.html>
Scott R. Austin | Board Certified Intellectual Property Attorney | VLP Law Group LLP
101 NE Third Avenue, Suite 1500, Fort Lauderdale, FL 33301