[gnso-rpm-wg] Scheduling meeting times

Mary Wong mary.wong at icann.org
Wed Sep 26 16:27:02 UTC 2018

Dear all,

The Working Group co-chairs periodically review the group’s meeting times with staff. You may recall that this group previously held its fourth rotating meeting at a different time (viz. 0300 UTC) which, while making it much easier for APAC-based participants as it meant that one out of every four Working Group calls would take place during working hours in that region, also made it extremely difficult for EMEA-based members to participate.

The current rotating time of 1200 UTC was a compromise of sorts, as it falls within EMEA working hours without being overly late (relatively speaking) for APAC – although please note that, in contrast to the previous rotating time of 0300 UTC, 1200 UTC actually means the call takes place after working hours in APAC (e.g. 8 p.m. in Singapore/HK and 10 p.m. in parts of Australia). In either case, the Working Group’s regular meeting time of 1700 UTC makes attending three out of four meetings very difficult for APAC-based members (1700 UTC time is 5 a.m. in Singapore/HK and 7 a.m. in Melbourne).

As the GNSO’s rules are designed to facilitate broad and diverse representation and participation, all PDP Working Groups (with the current exception of the new Expedited PDP on the Temporary Specification relating to WHOIS data) use a rotating meeting schedule, with actual times determined by the circumstances of each group and set by that group’s leadership team. This is in accordance with the GNSO Working Group Guidelines, which prescribe that “scheduling tools should follow the preference of the majority and accommodate those that are in different time zones. Alternating meeting times should be considered as an option if the same members of the WG are always ‘inconvenienced’ by a standing meeting time.”

Staff will work with Kathy, Brian and Phil to see if the current rotating time should be changed, but for now we thought this background information may be helpful.

Thanks and cheers
Mary, Julie & Ariel